Chapter 8

When Mae had left her former home, it was nighttime, so it was really dark outside. She just walked along the sidewalk with her bag over her shoulders. 'Where do I go now?' Mae thought to herself. Suddenly it started to rain, little drops at first then it became heavy, pouring down, wetting her clothes. It became colder and colder. 

Then she remembered Mia. She could go to Mia's place and stay there. Luckily Mia didn't move too far away from her parents' house in case she wanted to visit. She was just a town over. She rushed over to her place. She eventually gets to the house, panting from running all the way there with a bag on her back. The lights were still on telling her that Mia was still awake. She goes to knock on the door, but then she stopped. 'What am I gonna tell her' she thought to herself. 'I can't tell her the truth of what happened. She might react the same way my parents did.' Mae sighs to herself. She goes to leave when the door suddenly opened to reveal Mia standing there in her pajamas. Mia's eyes widen seeing her best friend standing at the door, clothes soaked from the rain, hair sticking to her cheeks.

"Mae, what are you doing here? Your clothes are all wet. Come inside."

Mia doesn't give her a chance to speak and drags her into the house. She takes her to her room and pulls out some clothes from the closet, handing them over to Mae. They are just about the same size.

"Go shower to warm yourself up and change into these clothes. Then come downstairs for some soup to eat."

Mae nods and Mia leaves the room. About 20 minutes later, Mae goes downstairs and sees Mia waiting at the table for her. There was a bowl of soup sitting there. Mae came over and sat across from Mia. She picked up the spoon and starts eating the soup, feeling a bit warmer than before. Mia just stares at her, not saying anything. After a while, Mae finishes her soup and they both sit there in silence for a moment. Mia then speaks up.

"You don't need to tell me why you're here," she said. "When you're ready, you can tell me what's going on."

"Thank you Mia."

Mia stood up from her chair and walked over to Mae's side and hugged her tightly. Mae leaned her head against Mia's stomach as she let her play with her hair.

"Don't worry Mae. I'll be here for you always."

Present time
"So that's why you showed up at my door like that? Why didn't you tell me?"

"I was afraid. Afraid of how you would think. I thought you would leave me if I told you."

"I will never leave you for something like this Mae. There's nothing wrong with feeling like this. I support you all the way. Now, who's the girl you like? Do I know her?"

"Yeah, you know her."

"What's she like?"

"She's very nice and caring. She's always there for me when I need her. When I'm sad, it's as if she can tell and would come to me and hug me, not saying anything until I was ready."

For some reason, when Mae said that, Mia got a little jealous. Jealous of the girl who would comfort her best friend. But she brushes it off.

"Who is it?"

"I won't tell you yet."

"Come on. Please."

Mae shakes her head and starts running away. Mia calls out her name and chases after her. Laughter and screams filled the area with happiness. When they got home, they were tired out from running and it started raining outside, so their clothes were soaked. They went and changed their clothes before laying on the couch to warm themselves up as they put on a movie.