Chapter 28: Light Prevails

Fluttering her eyes open, the ringing in her ears, Keyleth forces herself up and looks out at the battle between the Briarwoods and her friends.

Percy was cornered by Sylas and Cassandra.

Laughing wickedly to herself, Delilah was attempting to smash Scanlan and Pike.

Kyria was dodging Jason's mace, trying to stay clear of him.

Grog was still out from the blast from earlier.

Vex ran into her view, "Keyleth, do something!" she cries out, Keyleth forces herself to stand to her feet, leaning against her staff. "I... I can't." she mutters, flinching from the pain "Please!" Vex begs as a dagger was lodged into her leg and arm.

Vax charges at her, summoning his knife, and stood right behind her, both struggled as he was going through with killing her.

Taking a step, Keyleth falls over and collapses on the ground. But in her blurred state, she sees the roots that have arches onto the pillar and then suddenly remembered.

"Sun Tree? What happened to you?"

The many years of the Sun Tree that was shown to her when the Briarwoods took over, how it withered down into near death.

"So Weak."

How she tried to return strength to the Sun Tree, and how Kyria gave her own strength at the expense of her crystal.

Kyria disarms Jason, throwing him over her shoulder and he smacks onto the ground, "Come on Jason. You're a stubborn son of a bitch that doesn't listen to anyone!" she shouts at him.

Forcing himself to stand, Jason just chuckles at her. "Guess this is the exception," he states and charges at her, Kyria jumps back and tries to dodge him. But he catches her arm and throws her over his shoulder.

She went flying and smacks against the ground, coughing as she rolls onto her stomach. Jason marches towards her, rolling her onto her back.

Saddles her and his hands shot right at her throat, she gags, gripping his hands as she held his grip tighten. "Jason..." she chokes, "I'm sorry, Kyria. I'm sorry," he spoke as she couldn't fight back.

Keyleth flutters her eyes open, looking at the Sun Tree roots before her. She gasps and then turns her head, realizing that they were directly under the Sun Tree itself. "Roots," she mutters.

"Sun Tree?" she calls out and rolls onto her back "I'm Keyleth, of the Air Ashari. I know you're there." she calls out, trying to lift her head "And holy shit, I need your help," she begs got help. Vines reach out and curl around her fingers, giving strength back to her as she closes her fist around them.

Falling to the ground, Vex fights off her brother, killing him off as she pulls herself away "Keyleth!" she calls to her once more.

Forcing herself to stand on her wobbling feet, she stomps her staff. "Please," she said weakly as the vines curl around her staff, wrapping it tightly. "Help me be the light," she begs, lifting her staff into the air as she summons light, shining on everything around her.

This drew the attention of Sylas, shielding his eyes from the warm light, Cassandra lost focus as she grips her head.

Kyria gags, feeling her breath slipping away, but the warm light glows, drawing her attention as the light was so warm and... sparks another memory.

It was the shadow monster, that snarls right at her, but her small hand was held out in front of her and the monster in front of her went up in flames, it screeches out in pain as it was burning alive, then withered away as the flames die down.