Space Between Us

He was a soldier, with a fighter's mind.
And she was the battle, he lost every time

Drift

---

"You're it!" The children screeched in their high pitched voices around the clearing we currently had occupied. Their laughing faces and bright smiles made me feel a little better.

"Jace, don't run too far off." I run a hand through my hair as I had to reprimand the little rascal, who was up to no good. His chubby face made this cute pout once he realised, I had an eye on him and he came back. But surely a few minutes later he'd try again.

First currently chased some of his brothers around the grass and once in a while they tackled each other. If they continued to roll around the grass like that, all of them needed a bath tonight. "Jace, I see you!" I huff as the little five year old boy, decides to try his luck again.

"Look, what I found!" I looked away from a not so remorseful Jace towards another chubby face. Wesley, another clone of First's batch mates held a flower in his hand and grinned proudly. "It's beautiful." I mumbled and Wesley grinned a little brighter.

His rosy cheeks get a little redder and soon he dusted off again. He was probably the calmest out of all of them, but rest assured, he was just as much of a sly dog as the rest of them.

"Care for some company?" Alema approached the clearing and I nodded and patted the free space next to me. She smiled as she watched the children play and I watched her more up close. Alema had beautiful flawless radiant lilac skin, which almost shown in the lights of the day and gave her an angelic appearance. Next to her, I felt like an absolute sloppy mess. She was younger than me, maybe by a year or two.

"Jace..." I growled and swiftly looked at the retreating back of one special little boy. "Fine!" He finally gave up and joined his brothers in the game of tag they were currently indulged in. "You're very good with them." Alema smiled and I shrugged.

"I was created to give birth and take care of children." I huff and she nodded. It didn't surprise me, that she knew about my conditioning. Leal must have told her or someone else had.

"Can we be friends?" It surprised me how quickly Alema cut to the chase and I certainly hadn't expected the conversation to result in this. "I just thought I'd asked." Alema hastily says as she see my surprised expression. "If you don't feel comfortable-"

"No. it's not that. I'm afraid, I will not be any good company." I admit before she completely gets the wrong idea. I needed to let some people in, I knew that. But why did my chest twinged so much at the prospect of gaining a friend?

"That's fine...I never really had any friends outside of the Jedi order, so...I don't know what do friends talk about?" Alema was a friendship virgin! And I found that quite endearing.

"The only true friend I had was my Commander, who wants nothing to do with me." I scoff the last part and roll my eyes. Ever since the conversations with Drift and Naz, all my sadness had turned into anger. I was so angry with Stone, because he had decided to leave this friendship and I had thought we had been over this childish behaviour. This friendship had been the only thing, I had for myself. He had made me powerless. And that was the most awful thing, I had ever felt.

I had talked with Naz before she had to leave again and we had left on somewhat good terms. The tension between us had been palpable and both of us hadn't talked about what had happened. There was a lot of passive aggressiveness between us, but nothing time wouldn't heal eventually...at least hopefully. She promised to visit every now and again and I promised to take it easy. She had left a few days ago, Rex had called for some mission on Coruscant and since then, I hadn't heard much, but that was okay. We both probably needed some time apart.