Sickness

Abby let out a heavy sigh as she started down the stairs with her last bag. She was hoping that no one was there and that she could leave unseen. Of course, that wasn't the case. When she finally reached the last step she jumped to see her father standing there.

"You scared me." She almost whispered. He didn't say anything. His eyes were just boring right through her. "Say something instead of standing there in silence."

"How could you do this to us?"

"Do what?!? Be such a disappointment for you?"

"Abigail. I didn't teach you to do things like this."

"You didn't teach me much of anything, dad. You left...remember."

He shook his head. "We aren't talking about me right now."

"Fine dad. Yes. I know you are disappointed in me...because I'm not who you want me to be or because I somehow ended Tiffany's wedding. But I have feelings too and I didn't do any of this on purpose. I love being a nurse and making those kids happy. I love...I love Nick and that's why I got involved with him. I never intended to hurt anyone."

"Well you hurt Tiffany and everyone in this family."

"I know that and I'm sorry."

Abby picked up her suitcase, "Abigail!"

"I know I messed up...but you are no one to judge me dad. You made your mistakes and we still love you unconditionally." She pursed her lips and sniffed the tears away. "I'm sorry dad."

She opened the door and headed out to the taxi waiting for her. He'd already picked up her other bags and took the one from her hand. Abby wiped away the tears and opened the door to get in.

"You can't leave without me!"

Abby spun around to see Annie all flustered hugging two bags. Annie gave Abby a crooked smile and let the driver take her bags. "What are you doing? You still have another week here in LA?"

"Pssh...I'm not staying here. Whatever happened last night was so wrong. Dad for turning his back on you and Nick for being such a dick! I say, everything is fair in love and war."

"Oh my God Annie. That was so corny!" Abby got into the backseat followed by Annie. "I still feel horrible."

"Well I would too if I were in your shoes. Not so much about what you did...but because of the way Nick ratted you guys out. What a bitch! Maybe he is perfect for Tiffany; they are both bitches!" Abby gave her a shoulder shove and a sideways glance. "What? I'm serious!"

"What's done is done. Now we just go home and continue from where we left off." She forced a smile. Knowing well that would be impossible. There was still a knot lodged in her throat and every time she thought of last night it made her stomach coil. How could he have sacrificed what little they had, just to make Tiffany mad and jealous.

Annie put an arm around her sister's shoulder and they headed to the airport towards their home in Texas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I think it's time you got up." Brian stuffed empty beer 

cans into a bag. "Lord, did you really drink all this?"

Nick grumbled and threw a pillow at Brian. "Leave me alone, man."

"You need to get up. What is the point of moping around, when you brought all this upon yourself."

Nick finally sat up straight and glared at Brian. "Wait a fucking minute...it never even crossed my mind. You being my best friend and all. It was you!"