Chapter 1.2: Dark Kushida

𝔐𝔞𝔯𝔯𝔦𝔢𝔡 𝔬𝔲𝔭𝔩𝔢𝔰, 𝔟𝔲𝔱 𝔫𝔬𝔱 𝔏𝔬𝔳𝔢𝔯𝔰.

8th April, 10:15 PM

  "Catch up? You still haven't even realized your own shortcomings," stated the male figure, his tone ringing solemnly while we could only witness their backs.

The raven-black-haired girl was Horikita, though she was joined by another student. I had a sneaking hunch about the other one.

"Isn't that the student council president?" whispered Kushida underneath my hand, whereupon I gave a nod of affirmation.

The illumination was dim, but a vigilant inspection of his silhouette and an attentive ear to his voice endorsed that this was the student council president, Horikita Manabu. This was further solidified by their identical family name.

"What should we do?" she asked, her gaze darting up to me for a second.

"Nothing," I promptly retorted, surreptitiously snatching out my cell phone to capture the scene while Kushida maintained her eyes on the unraveling drama.

To my surprise, Kushida, who I had anticipated would rush to Horikita's aid, remained silent and compliant.

"You were a fool to choose this school," Manabu—whose name I learned when he held his speech—commented, pushing his glasses up.

He looked perfectly calm, but his sister was more agitated. Moreover, it looks like their relationship isn't the best.

"I-I'll reach Class A soon! When I do—"

"Impossible," he interjected, his voice heavy with gravity.

"I'll... make it there," Horikita replied in an unsteady voice, devoid of conviction and assailed by a profound sense of desperation.

"What an unreasonable little sister you are..."

Within a fraction of a second, he seized both of his sister's hands and slammed them against the wall, rendering her incapable of eluding his hold.

His intense, frowning glare bored into Horikita's wavering orbs. It was as if his gaze deprived her of breath and impeded her from regaining even a semblance of poise.

"You know what shame you bring me? My little sister in Class D."

Horikita, who otherwise conducted herself so eloquently and haughtily, was only a shell of her former self in the face of her brother's admonition.

"Leave this school immediately," he ordered, his tone of voice revealing there was no room for argument or negotiation.

Amid the situation, I realized Kushida's lips—still covered by my hand—unconsciously altered into a mild smile. Or was I mistaken?

"Brother... I..." stuttered Horikita, choking on her words as her legs and torso quivered while she was pinned against the wall.

Manabu raised his free arm backward, ostensibly to lunge for a blow. With her eyes almost closed, Horikita didn't attempt to resist.

"You must learn..."

As he was preparing to strike Horikita, I steadfastly recorded until the last moment, cutting it off when he swung his arm. Then I intentionally pedaled around the corner with clamorous footsteps, drawing attention to my presence.

"The student council president is using violence on his little sister, huh?"

His strike on Horikita was thwarted as he was caught off guard, and a tinge of surprise blazed across his features.