Chapter 1: "Love is a flaw."

𝔐𝔞𝔯𝔯𝔦𝔢𝔡 𝔬𝔲𝔭𝔩𝔢𝔰, 𝔟𝔲𝔱 𝔫𝔬𝔱 𝔏𝔬𝔳𝔢𝔯𝔰.

In a realm consisting of nothing but a white expanse, I stood in line alongside other individuals my age, all of whom were convulsing with anguish at the bare notion of a torturous punishment.

    "Kiyotaka," the man ruthlessly invoked, the sound of my name from his lips causing my core to shake.

In the corner of my eyes, I perceived the others releasing a low sigh of relief as my breathing deteriorated, growing ragged and labored.

    "Yes," I answered, straightening my spine and establishing eye contact with his terrifying golden-brown orbs. His eyes were like a fiery pit, blazing with intensity and vigor.

    "Love is a flaw, understand? It renders you vulnerable and powerless," he sneered, and his words cut through me like a knife.

The disdain in his voice was palpable, and it was clear he considered love a weakness in this world where only survival mattered.

...

...

...

1st April 7:55 AM

    "You...wake up," a gentle angelic feminine voice whispered into my ear while my shoulder was nudged.

In accordance, my mind was jolted away from the previous remembrance and returned to reality as I blearily flattered my eyes open to detect a blurry female silhouette in front of me.

    "What do you want?"

Scarcely after I had raised this question, the blurriness in my field of vision dissolved, and the short, dirty-blond beauty surfaced.

In the background, I sensed the mildly disgruntled expressions of the others due to the rude attitude I exhibited toward the girl in front of me. Nevertheless, she didn't seem to mind.

    "I'm Kushida Kikyou. Do you mind introducing yourself to the others?" she innocently inquired, smiling at me with no contempt whatsoever.

Ah, that's right. We were introducing ourselves, and I must have fallen asleep.

I glanced around and noticed the student named "Yosuke Hirata" friendly simpering at me. This was the only information I perceived before falling into my slumber. In any case, he—just like Kushida—radiated an upbeat air.

In order not to be impolite any further, I rose from my chair with the intent of introducing myself.

But how should I do that?

It was while I pondered this very matter that the anticipative stares and awkward silences mounted, prompting me to commence.

    "Uhm, my name is Ayanokoji Kiyotaka. I'm ugh... pleased to meet you all," I uttered in my habitual flat tone, expressing no excitement like a robot.

Great.

The students were awkwardly staring at me, not knowing how to react to my miserable presentation.

Just when utter silence threatened to prevail once again, Hirata started applauding. Afterward, some girls did the same.

    "Great, do you have any hobbies or something similar?" he asked, feigning ignorance to the others.

Hobby? Right, Hirata also mentioned he plays football. Well...

    "Not really. I'm not good at anything except everything," I honestly stated, shrugging my shoulders.