Chapter 1

"Please, Please," I panted as I was compressing the patient chest, who was suffering from a cardiac arrest

"Please, Please," I panted as I was compressing the patient chest, who was suffering from a cardiac arrest. It was his second one. I have to save him.

I have to.

'Please', I heard his wife weep, 'save him please, he still needs to see his daughter,' she begged while pointing at her four-month belly. We had to take her out of the emergency room or else she would have a high risk of a miscarriage, but her voice still reached my ear even though she was on the other side of the building. It broke my heart. I didn't want the child to experience what I did.

"I will check his pulse," I called, notifying the nurses around me as I stepped back and put my index and middle finger on his neck...

Nothing

"Two hundred joules," I yelled and grabbed the device making sure I rubbed the gel.

"Shock," I called and shocked the patient. I climbed up the bed and started compressing. "How long has it been?"

"four minutes and thirty-six seconds," Miss Jeon said, the head nurse. Shit, I'm running out of time, my vision started to get blurry, and the fact that my body was heated up didn't help.

Please...

Just one pulse... Please...

Suddenly I felt strong arms around my waist, carrying me away from the patient.

"Please stop. It's been six minutes" I turned around and was greeted by the Head doctor of the hospital, Doctor Park. I have learned a lot from him since I came here five years ago. I was transported, more like kicked out of the main hospital after a failed operation that I was the main surgeon in, to this in the middle of nowhere hospital. I thought I would have no future in this hospital. But Doctor Park taught me That I shouldn't worry about the future. I should worry about the patient. It's about saving lives and working as fast as possible to save a patient's life while making wise choices.

"No, there is still a chance," I said, trying to reach for the patient

"Doctor Min. Stop please," Doctor Park yelled as his jaw clenched

"We have been calling your name, and you weren't responding. It's been six minutes, he already experienced a cardiac arrest, and you saved him, but now you can't," Doctor Park said, holding me back. I looked at the patient. His head was bleeding, and there were scratches all over his body. a hit and run car accident, he was protecting his wife and his unborn child

"Pronounce him dead," Doctor Park said. "it's four-thirty PM."

"Time of death at four-thirty PM, Kim Kai Il has expired," I said using the medical term expired to pronounce him dead. I felt hot tears well up in my eye the same day my father died twenty-five years ago.

"Don't worry about his wife. I will tell her," Doctor Park said. I nodded and headed out of the emergency room and up to the staff room on the second floor.