The Orange Wildflower

• İtfaf edildi The boy that never knew

You never forget the summer when you have your first love. The time you never expected to meet that person who changes your life, or changes the way you look at things. This is the story about the summer I met mine. A summer love that seemed to last forever. A boy that had a mind of his own and a heart that had a love for me I never knew about. Mostly, this is the summer I fell in love with my best friend.

"Are you alright?" Zach looked at me questionably, but with that hint of worry in his eyes. Today I was leaving for the summer to my Uncle Clarion's house out in some small town on the country side.

"I'm fine, it's just that I probably won't see this place for a while," I said as I closed my eyes and lifted my head in a sweet surrender to the summer breeze.

"Sixteen years old and this place still gets to you just like it did when we were kids," Zach looked at me and then looked around us at our field. Our field we found when we were little kids. Our field with the big willow tree and the wildflowers that bloom just when summer is at its start. There we sat most of our days at our willow tree, even today. Our field that no one ever bothered to visit except Zach and I. This place that has been my escape when the tears built up, when I needed some time alone and just to spend time with my best friend.

I plopped on my back and buried my head in the tall grass and flowers, inhaling the sweet smells of my past and present. Why do I have to leave this place that has held me in it's warmth for so long? Why did I have to leave Zach behind? He's the only one that understands me, who I am, what I want to be. Then, an idea came to mind,"I have the most brilliant idea!"

There it was, that look of curiosity on his face. So simple, but so complex,"What is it?"

"Well Uncle Clarion did say that he had a big house. A house big enough for me to bring a guest or two."

"I'm listening," I had his full attention now.

"Maybe... Uncle Clarion could allow me to bring... a guest."

"And who will that be?" Zach asked dumbly.

I sat up and punched him on the arm playfully, "You, idiot!

We both laughed as he considered the offer. If he said yes he had to run home and pack quickly because I was to leave within an hour, "I would be glad to come, but would your uncle mind?"

"As far as I've known my Uncle Clarion I could show up with the worlds most insane kindergarten class and he would be fine with it, besides, you've known me forever and everyone knows that!"

He looked at me with his hazel eyes and said, "Alright, alright but I have to ask my parents first."

"Hurry and call them!" He quickly pulled his cell phone out of his pocket and called his mom. After a brief conversation he then hung up the phone, "They said yes!"

I jumped for joy and wrapped my arms around his neck to hug him, but it turned out I was a bit more enthusiastic then I thought and knocked him to the ground. I landed on top of him and we both burst into laughter. Then the laughter died off and his hazel eyes looked into my green ones. I don't know how long it was until I rolled off of him and laid on my back next to him. Zach sat up and pulled a bright orange wildflower off its stem and twirled it between his fingers, "I better go get packing for our summer. See you in an hour Callia." I sat up to see him off when he reached over and put the bright orange wildflower in my long, light brown hair, tucked behind my ear. His gesture wasn't something he would usually do, but I felt happy, I also felt as if something was unsaid. I took one last look around our field, the wildflowers and the willow tree. I hope Uncle Clarion had a willow tree.