His turn to stand

The afternoon passed by while Zach and I decided to explore the town, or to be exact "Nowhere in Particular." Uncle Clarion said he would take Zach and I out for some dinner later at some place called, Sam's Got Grub. Of course Zach brought his sketchbook and was doodling occasionally as we walked.

"So, what are you drawing this time?" I asked.

Zach held the notebook at his side as I tried to take it from him. He pulled it out of my reach as I was about to grab it,"Give it to me! I want to see what you drew!"

He raised the book above his head so it was out of my reach. I stood on my toes to try to reach it, but I was still unsuccessful. He laughed at me and I let out a frustrated laugh.

I gave him a sad look. He looked down at me with his hazel eyes and gave in,"Okay. Fine. Here you can look." He handed me the sketchbook and we continued to walk. I flipped through the pages of the book and they were all covered with sketches. Not just any sketches, they were beautiful drawings of our hometown, our field, the wildflowers and...me. It wasn't a surprise that Zach drew me because there were many times when he would just draw me as we would sit and talk and do what we do. The picture of me was one that I don't remember. It was me sitting on my porch swing reading a book. That picture defined me so much. It was simple, but so intricately drawn with soft lines and curves.

"Zach... These pictures are... Amazing," I commented.

"Thanks. My favorites the one of you reading a book. I think it's my best," he said.

I looked at the picture one last time before I gave it back. Up ahead a group of guys about our age sat around some old gas station. There were four of them sitting around talking and goofing off. As we walked by I could tell they were watching us because they kind of became silent. Strangely silent.

Zach looked at me with a look that I probably had on to.

"You two must be new to this town. Where you from?" The dark brunette boy with the chocolate brown eyes came up in front of us and he wouldn't stop staring at me.

Zach was the first to speak,"Yeah. We're actually here with her uncle."

The boy continued to look at me,"Who's your uncle?"

I spoke up,"My Uncle Clarion. Hank Clarion."

"Oh we know Hank! Funny guy! He's got the nicest property in this town," the guy was starting to freak me out.I kinda wanted to get away from this group of guys. Which is weird because they all were pretty cute, but they were irritating me. "Yeah everybody in the town has been talking about Hank Clarion and his niece's boyfriend coming in to town. "

Why did everyone assume that Zach and I were dating,"No actually we're friends."

The guy took a step closer to me,"Let me introduce myself, I'm Jake, and you are?"

Zach took his turn to talk now,"I'm Zach and this is Callia."

"Hey Callia you wanna hang out with me and the boys? We're going to get a bite to eat in a bit," Jake said ignoring that Zach was there. Zach started fidgeting and seemed quite uncomfortable. Why did this guy think he could just come up to some random girl he just met and ask her to lunch?! Well this guy thought he could apparently.

I responded,"Uh-No thanks we already have plans, but maybe another time." (yeah, right)

"C'mon! We'll have a great time!" Why couldn't he just shut up? Jake put his arm around my shoulder and continued to give me that stare which blared "CREEPER!" in my mind.

That's when I took my stand,"Ok Mr. Suave! Back off!" I threw his arm off my shoulder and was given a quizzical look from Zach which seemed to be agreeing with me and saying"what are you getting us into?"

Jake tried to grab my hand, but I lifted it in the air,"Dude I just met you and it would've been nice to make some new friends, but you better stop before I give you a bruise across your face bigger than your ego!"

Zach looked impressed by my courage to stand up to Jake like that, but I've acted like this many times before when jerk guys thought they were God's gift to women,"You have to know that I like em' fiesty!" Just when I was about to smack him around like those kick boxing fights Uncle Clarion watched on TV, Zach grabbed my wrist to stop me from making a big mess of things.

I looked at Zach wondering why he wouldn't let me handle this one! I mean seriously he's always watching my back which I'm glad because I would've been kicked out of school a long time ago. Zach said,"Callia just ignore him, you're provoking him way more than needed."

He was right and I knew it. He lowered my hand and I tried to calm myself down. Zach and I then started walking away when Jake grabbed Zach's sketchbook. No one steals the sketchbook. Anger rushed through Zach's face just like a flooding river. Jake commented,"What's this? Little drawings? I must say these are good and-." Jake flipped to the page of me reading a book. "Oh... So you are a couple aren't you? Zach I like your girlfriend. She's really nice looking and has spirit. No wonder you must like her, but sorry buddy I think I'm going to keep this book of yours. And your girl. Callia isn't it?" That was it Zach blew his top. A rare sight if you must know. Zach clenched his right hand into a fist and punched Jake right in the eye. Yes! Jake was moaning in pain while holding his eye. All of the Other guys around us made ooh's and ahh's as if appreciating the blow from Zach to Jake. I couldn't blame them I was more than happy to see Jake's pretty face and his brown eye swelled the size of a purple golf ball. Zach picked up his sketchbook which was now on the ground and stood up.

"Sorry 'Buddy' but Callia isn't hungry right now," and Zach and I walked off away from the unexpected event and down the street.

Once we were out of the 'Gas station gang's ' view I yelled,"Oh my gosh! Zach! That was-! Amazing!"

He also seemed surprised with himself, but I wasn't. I always knew that he would've done that many times in the past, but he had self control which was a quality that I lacked much of. The anger flushed out of his face, but I could still see the tint of frustration in his hazel eyes,"Who does that guy think he is? He thinks he can hit on my best friend, then take my sketchbook? I wish I could've hit him in the other eye as well. Maybe he would be considered legally blind."

I laughed at Zach's last comment. I totally agreed. I then realized that Zach just stood up for me! Well, he always does, but not physically. I stopped where we were walking and he stopped too. I looked up at him with awe,"Thank you."

"For what?" He asked.

"For standing up for me. And for not letting me make a mess of things like I do all the time."

Zach put his arm around my shoulder and said,"Callia, If you didn't ever stand up for yourself I don't know what kind of friend I would be if I didn't help every once in a while."

I thought about that and it was true. Today was his turn to take his stand and be the one to have Courage. I wrapped my arm around his waist and we walked with a new understanding of each other and in silence. That silence that neither one of us wanted to break. I really don't know what would happen if I didn't have a best friend that would clean up my messes, help me up when I fall down, and a best friend that has a flame if courage inside him that he used just when it was needed. Or to be exact, when I needed it.