< chapter seven >

"You're taking me to the beach? For real? Jackson, it's night time already,"
"Hey, don't you know? The beach is really beautiful at night, with the moonlight and all,"

She chuckled.

"Fine." she nodded. "I'll just trust you, then,"
"Good girl,"

He got out of the car and motioned for him to follow her once he parked his car. She quickly opened the door and got out, shutting it closed as her heels sunk into the sand.

"Careful now," he grabbed her arm to keep from falling.
"Thanks," she shifted her bag on her shoulder and took a step forward slowly.

He laughed.

"Seems like you're not used to walking on sand,"

She made a face at him and he laughed again, crouching down in front of her on the sand.

"Get on. I can't let you trip now, can I?"

When she didn't get on his back, he stood up again and picked her up in his arms, bridal style and carried her down the beach. She didn't say anything out of surprise.

He set her down on a rock and told her to wait as he pulled out a blanket from his backpack and spread it on the sand.

"Come on," he sat down on the blanket and patted the space next to him. "Sit down,"

After hesitating for a while, she jumped off the rock and quickly sat down beside him, putting her bag on her lap.

"So?"
"So what?"

He studied her expression for a while before turning her face to look up at the moon.

"It's pretty, isn't it?"
"The moon is always pretty,"
"True,"

He had to give it to her. She had a point.

"But do you know what's sad?"
"What?"
"There are no stars, because of the light pollution,"
"You sound like an environmentalist,"
"But it's true!"

She smiled.

"I know,"

He stared at her for a moment before pointing at her bag.

"Yah, do your homework! Didn't you bring that so you could finish it?"
"Oh," she unzipped her bag. "Right, thanks for reminding me,"

She started to write down on her notebook, answering the remaining questions. Every time she would lean over, her hair would cover her face, causing her to stop writing every once in a while and push it back. He reached out and tucked it behind her ear to save her that trouble.

She froze.

"What are you doing?"
"Uh... Helping you see better...?"

Well that was a stupid excuse.

"Okay,"

But good for him, she bought it and didn't notice his sort of questioning tone. Silence came across them for a long time.

"Done!"

He tore his gaze away from the sea and looked at her, who was smiling to herself and putting her books back inside her bag.

"You're done?"
"Didn't I just say that?"

And now she was being sarcastic. Just great. He made a face and tapped her shoulder.

"Look up there. You're going to see something,"

She did as he told her to.

"What am I supposed to see?"
"Just look,"
"No,"
"Jenny," he sighed.
"What am I supposed to be looking at? Just tell me,"

She glanced at him for a second and he smiled.

"You're really pretty, you know,"
"You're avoiding my question,"

She was actually trying to avoid the fact that he had just called her pretty.

"Am I?"

But then again, he was trying to distract her with that.

"Yeah, you are,"
"No, I'm not. You really are pretty, you know,"
"Are you flirting with me now?"
"Maybe I am,"

Her eyes widened and he quickly turned away, mentally cursing himself. He might as well have told her he liked her just then, and he bet he would get the exact same reaction from her.

Stupid, stupid Jackson.

_______________________________________________________________________

I've got nothing to say about this except that this story is ending in three chapters. How is it, tho?