Prologue

Kakashi Hatake and I have been best friends since birth

Kakashi Hatake and I have been best friends since birth. He has always been kind and quiet. He never really said too much when we spent time together, but that's what made our friendship perfect. I would do all the talking, while he sat with me, listening intently and commenting occasionally to reassure me he was paying attention. We would spend hours together in the forest just outside the Leaf Village as kids: playing, laughing, lying in the grass and watching the clouds. We did almost everything together, but our friendship changed when Sakumo passed.

When the news broke, I remember rushing around the village trying to find Kakashi. No one seemed to care about either Hatake. No one cared about Sakumo leaving his 6-year-old son all alone. No one cared about Kakashi going missing. But I did.

I found Kakashi crouched under a tree in a small opening in our forest. His arms were folded, resting atop his knees, creating a cradle for his head. I remember watching my best friend tremble as tears fell onto his thighs. Wordlessly, I sat next to him, resting my hand on his back. He picked his head up and looked at me with tears brimming his deep gray eyes. A few moments passed as we stared at each other, neither one wanting to interrupt the silence. "Hi," Kakashi whispered. I smiled softly. Tears were still falling down his cheeks, leaving stains on his mask. "Hi," I sighed softly, offering a half smile for comfort.

I didn't see Kakashi much after that day. When we joined the ninja academy, it felt like Kakashi had already graduated before I could even hold a kunai. It was hard to keep up with him. He was always leaving me behind. Before long, Kakashi was being dispatched on missions. He never had time to hangout, practice, or be a kid with me anymore. I watched my best friend grow into a stranger. The sweet, sensitive, and quiet Kakashi transformed into someone cold, distant, and isolated. I genuinely thought he was emotionless until today.