8

Don't you- Bryson Tiller

It'd been a 2 weeks since Kalin had last seen Hannah, and he couldn't stop thinking about her. He knew it was silly to be so concerned about a girl he only knew for about a week, but she was different, as cliche as that might sound. She had an affect on him, like when he was in the same room with her his stomach feels like it's eating itself, and when she speaks her words store itself in the back of his mind so he can reminisce them over and over again, and what he liked most about her is that she had no clue. She was in a world of her own and he just liked watching her. "Kalin, this is the fourth time today you gave the wrong clothes to the wrong customer, what is with you?", his mom snapped, pulling him out from his thoughts. "Sorry mom", Kalin apologized before getting back to storing inventory. His mom stared at him sympathetically as he struggled to keep on task, "K, whats wrong?", she asked him with wide eyes, unused to seeing her determined, hardworking son so scatterbrained and out of element. Without a response, she asked once more, this time filled with more concern, "You can talk to me Kalin, come on let me in", she pleaded, trying to help. Kalin stored away the last box of buttons before leaving the small room in the back of the laundromat, "Mom i'm fine", he exclaimed while walking past his mother. Sighing, she felt defeated, as she could sense something was really bothering him.

Hannah hurriedly wrapped her hair in a towel and threw on a robe as she rushingly left her shower to open the house door. Leaving her bathroom, she made her way to the house door to find both her parents in the living room watching television. "No one wanted to open the door?", she asked in irritation as the doorbell went off once more. Hannah heard her father mutter something under his breath but she chose to ignore it, figuring it was likely to be unimportant as always. "Jake!", Hannah announced with fake enthusiasm after opening the door to a familiar face. "Where have you been Hannah?", Jake interrogated with a straight face. Unsure of why he was so angry, she struggled to come up with a lie, "come in", Hannah sighed. Jakes face changed from confused to really confused as he eyed her up and down. Taken aback at first Hannah had the impression he was checking her out before remembering she was still in a towel. Slightly blushing she corrected her mistake, "one second thought let me put some clothes on and then i'll come out", she clarified. Laughing it off, Jake nodded then took a seat on the the rocking chair set on her front porch.

"So where have you been?", he asked her the very second her house door shut behind her. Giving him a wide smile she took a seat beside him, "you haven't seen me in two weeks and you're more worried about where I've been you don't want to know how i'm doing?", Hannah teased. Without a playful response, she seriously answered him truthfully, "I just have stuff going on, and needed some time to figure things out?", she explained briefly. Jake still had a confused look plastered onto his face as he struggled to find the reasoning behind the situation. "Hannah were neighbors, what do you mean, I mean I get where your coming from and I understand, I just want you to know that i'm here for you", he said with creased eyebrows. Hannah shared his confusion as she wondered why he was acting so strange towards her, "thanks Jake and yeah I know, I just needed some time, but i'm all better now", she lied. Believing her, he impulsively reached for her hand, however before reaching it Hannah moved back, "What are you doing Jake, you have a girlfriend?", she questioned him angrily, unsure of why he wasn't acting like him. Almost taken offensively he stammered, "Are you kidding me hannah? Not everything is about you". She took a moment to recollect her thoughts before responding to him, "Okay Jake you know what I think its best if you leave", she advised after noticing the alcohol that lingered off his breath after he shouted at her. "Whatever, i'm done trying to be your friend all you do is push people away, no wonder no one likes to be around you, you're just depressing", he spat at her before storming off, every word hitting her harder than the next. Just as his car faintly disappeared with distance, Hannah let the tears fall from her eyes, unable to control them any longer, "thank you universe, god, anyone? thank you for making me such a piece of shit", she said silently as the tears continued to pour down. All she knew was too push people away, it was her defense mechanism, the only way she knew to protect herself. Every time she lets her walls down and lets someone in, they always find a way to hurt her. Usually this was easy for her, it was something natural that just occurred on its own but ever since she moved it seemed everyone wanted something from her. Unused to all this attention, she didn't like it and never has. It gave her anxiety being the spotlight of a conversation as words never came easy to her, she constantly stuttered as she struggled with things to say to keep the conversation going. However, none of this applied to Kalin White. He made her feel at ease, and tranquil. Kalin made her feel problems feel like the smallest things in the world. Her words came out freely when talking to him, she felt like the only girl in the world as he gave her all his attention, captivating her with his twinkly emerald eyes. Hannah hadn't liked a boy since she'd left, and he scarred her, even thinking about it sent shivers down her spine, maybe it was best for Hannah to leave him alone. She didn't want to ruin something so perfect by mixing in all her imperfections. 'Jake was right, she thought, 'no one likes you, just because you're into him doesn't mean it's reciprocated', she persuaded herself into believing before she wiped her tears away aggressively, "just stay away from him hannah, stay away", she swore to herself.

A/N: Hope you enjoyed this chapter! Please always remember to vote and give feedback in the comments below. Also make sure to check out my other KAM fanfics, love, your author