21

My eyes began to droop as I tried my hardest to pay attention to yet another boring meeting. Liam was speaking to a handful of members, explaining different tasks, getting weekly updates and reports on the different branches, and running the numbers for each department.

I wasn't sure why I was asked to be here, but I hated every moment of it.

I was a killer, that's what I did best, that's what I enjoyed doing. Where I didn't shine was in these dull settings. Going over forms, numbers, spreadsheets, it was all irrelevant to me. I sat in the corner of the room, laying down on the couch as I tossed a red stress ball up in the air before catching it while Liam continued talking to one of his men.

"Still wrong." Liam said as he glanced down at the paperwork in front of him. "Get me the correct balance sheet for the restaurants, or I'll find someone who can." Liam said from behind his desk. The man sat up from his chair, thanking him profusely. Liam watched as the man quickly scurried out of his office before his gaze traveled to me.

He sat up from his desk before walking over to my couch, where I continued to throw the ball up in the air in an attempt to keep myself awake.

"Is this boring you?" Liam asked curiously with an eyebrow raised.

"Yes." I said, tossing the stress ball up in the air once more. He quickly caught it before putting it in his pocket, making me sit up and look at him with my eyebrows furrowed.

"Rude." I said under my breath as I looked up at him. He stared down at me, his brown eyes distant, as if he was in another world for a moment before he snapped back to our reality.

"Pay attention. Someone here might try to kill me." Liam said with a small smile before he turned on his heel and walked back to his desk.

"I hope they do, it'll liven up these boring meetings." I nearly groaned, making Liam chuckle slightly.

I felt my phone vibrate, and I quickly grabbed it out of my pocket. But as I laid my eyes upon the screen my heart sank. It wasn't my regular phone that was ringing, it was the old, outdated burner phone Monroe gave me.

I kept it on me constantly in case he called. Some nights I would just stare at it, hoping that he would reach out, hoping that he was still alive. But every night was met with the same silence and disappointment.

I shot up from my seat, drawing the attention of Liam, who was looking at me curiously with his brows furrowed.

"You can handle yourself for a few minutes, right?" I said as I reached into my pocket and quickly made my way towards the door.

"Good." I said before he even had the chance to answer. Anger flashed through his features for a moment before I swung the door to his office open and walked out into the hallway, nearly slamming into his next appointment. I nearly ran down the corridor, and once I had enough distance between me and Liam's office, I quickly grabbed the old flip phone from my pocket before answering.

"Fucking hell, Monroe." I said under my breath.

"Well shit, hello to you to." Monroes voice rang out from the other side of the line, making a smile erupt on my lips.

"It's good to hear your voice." I breathed.

"You too, kid." He said. "I don't have much time, but I wanted to check in with you and see how you're holding up. James treating you alright?"

"Yeah, he has me on bodyguard duty protecting his son." I said as I continued walking down the hallway.

"Liam? How's he doing?" Monroe asked.