09

"Why should I trust you? After all, you were just trying to kill me." I said as I narrowed my eyes.

"Ha! I wasn't trying." He said with a cocky smirk.

There is it, the confidence that made me want to just bash his skull in. I quickly narrowed my eyes at him as I threw a death stare in his direction while contemplating all the different ways I would kill him. I mentally scolded myself for thinking, that even for a moment, this man was attractive.

"If I wanted to kill you, you'd be dead already." He said as he raised his eyebrow. Even though his tone was somewhat playful, I could tell that underneath that exterior, was a very serious threat.

"Like I said before," he said as he began to walk towards a nearby window. "I just didn't feel like killing such a beautiful woman." He said as he shrugged.

"That kind of mentality will get you killed." I said as I lifted my chin slightly and crossed my arms.

"What can I say, I'm just a boy, standing in front of a girl, not wanting to kill her." He said before he shrugged and turned around.

"Really?" I said as I furrowed my eyebrows. "Does that work on anyone?" I asked with a scowl.

"Consider yourself lucky, lady!" The child screamed as she pointed at me, making the man let out a soft chuckle as he shook his head. The girl puckered her lips before she spat in my direction, making me raise an eyebrow at the tiny child.

"You're still spitting at people?" The man exclaimed as he winced away from the child. "I thought I told you that was rude!"

"Sorry Sensei." The kid said quickly before giving the man a wide smile.

"Don't say sorry to me. You didn't spit on me." He said as he nodded in my direction.

"Oh." The kid said before quickly facing me once more with a small smile. "Sorry for spitting at you lady."

"It's okay." I responded, confusion apparent in my voice as I looked down at the tiny child.

"Anyways, they plan on killing you as soon they see you. I overheard them in the alleyway on my way in." He said as he crossed his arms, the small child looked up at him before crossing her own arms and looking over at me.

Part of me wanted to believe him. But conflicting emotions clouded my thoughts, and I found myself questioning everything. Monroe always taught me to be cautious of my crew, and I learned from experience that Corporate would never kill an S-Rank head on. But even then, most of the S-Ranks I had to kill were always rogue agents. Assassins that failed missions, or just tried to vanish off the face of the earth, men and women I had to hunt down, never do a mission with.

I suppose if Corporate really wanted me dead, it would be for a valid reason. I'll admit I've been sloppy on some recent missions, but that wouldn't be enough to validate killing me. The only reason why I would think Corporate would come after me is...

Felipe Lombardi.

They must have found out. Or maybe it was the church incident... I suppose this wasn't my first stealth mission where I blatantly disregarded orders. But maybe it wasn't either of those... and word about what I did in Thailand got around to them. Maybe the man who supplied Felipe Lombardi's untraceable bullets also supplied them to Corporate. If that's true, then I unintentionally killed one of their suppliers... Or I'm being paranoid again, and this guy is making this all up to save him and the kid. Come to think of it, there could be quite a few reasons why they'd want to kill me.

"Oh, and by the way," he said as he looked over his shoulder. "I wouldn't start your car if I were you. Apparently that red headed one... the one that's loud, kinda has that psycho-killer vibe? Yeah, I'm pretty sure she put a bomb in there." He said before he gave me a small smile.