18

"Well, that was certainly an enlightening experience." I said as we through the front doors of the Knight mansion.

"Nice use of those codewords." Liam said, his eyebrow raising slightly and... a hint of a smile on his lips?

Liams entire demeanor changed after we left the Lavella's. The cold, icy man I've known the past few weeks melted slightly. The car ride was still silent, but it wasn't awkward as it has been before. If anything, I'd say Liam was feeling triumphant over what transpired between him and Amora.

"Bible juice. I would have never thought of such a ridiculous phrase on my own, good job." He said as he looked over at me with an eyebrow slightly raised.

"The fact that we have to use any codewords at all is ridiculous." I said as I rolled my eyes.

"Hey, it worked, didn't it?" Liam said as he glared down at me.

"I suppose." I said with a blank expression on my face. I could tell that Liam reveled in being right, and he let out a very, very small yet victorious smirk.

"So, how'd it go?" A voice rang from down from the hallway. James was looking at us, well, Liam. His piercing blue eyes were narrowed, his deadly glare aimed directly for his son.

"Good." Liam simply said as we walked towards his father.

"Good?" James said as he tilted his head slightly. I could tell that he was not in the mood for games.

"That's what I said, isn't it?" Liam said defiantly as he walked past him. My steps slowed, and I went from walking beside Liam to behind him. His father turned on his heel, quickly catching up to him as they walked side by side. I began walking a healthy distance behind them. Far enough to keep me out of trouble, but close enough to satisfy my curiosity and eavesdrop on their conversation.

"Well, care to elaborate?" James said as we walked towards a group of men loitering in the hallway. They quickly saw Liam before turning and walking the other direction.

"I don't need to be micromanaged, father." Liam said with annoyance.

"Maybe that day will come when you stop acting like a rebellious teenager." James said harshly.

Ooh, this is getting spicy.

My eyes drifted towards Liam's back as I increased my pace slightly, getting closer to hear their conversation more clearly.

"You want to know what happened?" Liam said, a scowl on his lips. "Amora signed the contract willingly with the same terms."

"Was that before or after you killed seven of her men?" James said as he stopped walking, Liam quickly following suit. He looked over his shoulder at me. I made the mistake of looking up, and caught his furious gaze as he glared at me.

"After." I said after a moment of silence, earning another pointed glare from Liam.

Like father like son.

I stood there, my eyes drifting between James and Liam as they both stared at me furiously. I coughed awkwardly before I chose my next words carefully. But as I opened my mouth and prepared to speak, Liams words cut me off.

"Amora was planning to kill me. Mila intercepted her plan, and acted accordingly. If it wasn't for her, I'd be dead." Liam explained. My mouth was open for a moment, and I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

Liam Knight just... complimented me? Or more so, complimented my competence? Either way, it was shocking to hear.

I looked over at James, who was equally as surprised to hear praise for another to come out of his son's mouth.