17

She extended her arms out towards us, and Liam walked closer to her, reaching out his hand and shaking hers firmly.

"Welcome to my estate." She said as she gripped his hand before placing her other hand on top of their handshake. Her voice sounded like venom, slow as she emphasized every word with grace. Her accent was thick, graceful. Each word alluring yet threatening.

"I didn't know we'd have another join us?" She said as she eyed me while tilting her head. This woman. Something about her seemed... off. On the outside, she seemed put together. Her expensive gown didn't have so much as a crease in the fabric. Her skin was untainted by scars and her complexion was flawless. If I were to see her on the street, I would assume she was some sort of actor or model rather than a Mafia Don.

"She's just my bodyguard, nothing to be concerned about." Liam said as he glanced over at me. I resented the fact that I couldn't speak for myself almost as much as Liam's label for me, but ultimately, I just wanted to get this over with as quickly as possible. I gave Liam a disapproving glare before I turned my attention back to the woman, eyeing her guards.

"How interesting." She said as she tilted her head, her piercing blue eyes staring directly at me. "I would never take you as a man who would need one." She said in an insincere tone, making Liam clench his jaw. "Let alone employ the services of such a tiny woman."

"Amora Lavella, pleasure." She said as she extended her hand out to me. I reached mine out, and she firmly gripped my hand before shaking it.

"And you are..." she said curiously as she tilted her head and looked at me. The way her eyes draped over my body told me that she was sizing me up, evaluating how big of a threat I could potentially be.

"Her name doesn't matter." Liam said, making me clench my jaw as Amora looked over at him.

"Hmmm... I've heard rumors of the female company you like to keep. From what I hear they're usually... better dressed." Amora said as her eyes scanned my simple outfit.

"It's harder to kill someone if you're in a dress." I said as I slightly cocked my head to the side, the corners of my lips forming a small smile at the annoying woman. I saw Liam tense slightly in the corner of my eye, most likely internally fuming at the fact that I disobeyed his direct order.

"So, she speaks." Amora said slowly as she raised a perfectly shaped eyebrow at me.

Sensing the tension, her bodyguards took a step forward, and she gracefully raised her hand up, making her henchmen scowl at me before retreating to their original flanking position.

"You can leave us." She said with a small smile as she looked back over to Liam. I watched as the men behind her began walking away, giving us one last glance over their shoulder before disappearing into the house.

"It's a beautiful day, why don't we discuss the contract with a walk through the gardens." She said with a fake smile as she looked over at Liam and turned on her heel. He gave her a small nod before placing his hands in his pockets and walking beside her. I quietly trailed behind them, just far enough to give them some privacy, but close enough to still eavesdrop on their conversation.

"So, our contract is expiring soon?" Amora asked as we began walking along the side of the house. The porch was wide and adorned with large planters filled with colorful blooming flowers.

"Yes. I came here to see if you'd like to negotiate anything about your previous contract before we renewed the term." I heard Liam say coolly, keeping up his professionalism in the face of this unsettling woman. They turned the corner, and I quickly increased my pace to keep my eyes on Liam.