Chapter 1, Humble Beginings

Remnant...

A beautiful place...

If you don't consider the monsters that haunt it...

Grimm? No...
There is no Grimm here. But just about everything you would consider a monster.

This remnant is quite different from the one you know.

Aura? I does not exist.
Huntsman and huntsmen academies? Never heard of it.

Instead mana, magic, skills, and classes exist.

And instead of Grimm, this remnant is plagued by portals that seemingly appear at random and spew out monsters, or at times lead to a dimension filled with them, as well as treasure. Dungeons.

They vary from one to another, rarely being the same.

With the tread of dungeons, humanity and Faunes kin found the Hunter Association and banded together in guilds.

Remnant was at peace. Everything prospered and everyone was happy.

That's what you think.

We see a young man wearing a black hoody with the hood up, sitting in a dimly lit room.

'My name is Jaune Ar... Cross. Jaune Cross.' narrated Jaune.

'And my life sucks! Live wants to screw me over every chance it gets.' he began as he stood up and walked into a better-lit room. A shabby bathroom.

'I was born into a well-known family of hunters, the first son out of eight. My seven sister, even the three younger one's discovered their class at a young age. Me on the other hand, was a late bloomer... Hah, if only I never discovered my class.' he looked up into the mirror and took of his hood, revealing a bruised and cut face.
He concentrated and soon a transparent blue square appeared in from of him, and it read the following.

Jaune Cross
Age: 17
Lv 1
Class: Tailor
Class lvl: 15
Hp: 27/105
Mp: 100/100

Yes, he, the son of a well-known family of hunters was a tailor... Well, he was not for long at least.

'My family never really paid much attention to me, that was until I found my class. That day everyone noticed me... And hated me. In a flash, they stripped me of my name and threw me out like I was nothing but trash. I can remember it all... The insults, the slurs, their gazes. I never hated like that day. Never have I've known the meaning of hate, till that day.' he opened up the creaky valve and started washing his face.

'That was five years ago. But my hatred towards them still turns as hot as at that day. 3 years I've spent on the streets getting by barely, by eating scraps. Luckily I was able to get work with my class. It wasn't much and since it was not really legal to hire minors, the job wasn't really legal, nor did it pay well. But it got me bye. Just barely enough to rent a shity apartment and enough to not go hungry... Most of the time.' he finished up cleaning out the wounds and the number ticked up.

Hp: 28/105

'And now that I'm 17, I could start hunter work... If I had a combat-oriented class... If only, if only I had a single combat-oriented skill. I could become a hunter, get good pay and afford something better than this shithole that I have to call home.' as he look himself over.

'I might look like shit right now, but at least my outfit is decent enough.' he thought as he concentrated on his clothes.

Soon transparent blue squares like his own appeared.

Black Hoody
Grade A
Gives slight protection towards everything and moderate insulation against both hot and cold. Hand-tailored by an expert tailor.

Denin Jeans
Grade B
Gives slight protection against cuts.
Patched and styled from an old pair of ripped jeans. Repaired by an expert tailor.

'In terms of grade, my clothes are high-ranked. But I got no use of it. I can't sell it because it's the only clothing I got. It doesn't give mayor protection against attacks, not as I would get in many fights...' he thought as he remembered the ongoing of the past hours.

Jaune lived in the worst part of Vale. Downtown Vale, also called 'The Pit', because if you end up down here, no matter the reason, you most likely won't make it out.

The place was filled with scammers, common thugs, and gangs as far as the eye could see. And Jaune, as lucky as always had a run-in with a threeo of thugs.

After they beat him up they soon realized he had literally nothing of value on him.

'Wow, you are worse off than us.' one of them said.

Jaune snorted and spat out some blood.
'Tell me something new. Do you really think someone around here is off well? If you want to make money go to Vale proper, people there actually got cash on them' he said as he got up.

'You are taking being robbed surprisingly good.' said the second thug.

Jaune turned around to face them and put on his hood.
'Welcome to 'The Pit' gentlemen. Where getting mugged twice per day is a peaceful day.' he said in an annoyed tone as he left, leaving behind some really confused thugs.

Back in the shitty bathroom, Jaune got out a needle and used his Tailor skill [Mana Thread] to create an impossible thin and almost invisible thread, and used them to sew together the open wound on his cheek.

*Ding*

A Notification window popped up.

Due to the extensive use of [Mana Thread] your class lvl. Increased.

Tailor lvl. 15 - > 16

Jaune sighed as he dismissed the notification.

'Another useless level up. The only thing I gain from this shit is the probability to create a masterwork item while sewing.
Hah, right, with my luck that will never happen.

*Ding*
*Ding*

Another two notifications popped up.

Due to enduring damage sustained in a fight, your Endurance has increased by 1.

He dismissed that window.

Due to reaching class lvl. 16 Tailor and meating certain requirements, you have unlocked a unique skill!

                [String Manipulation]

Would you like to see an explanation of this skill?

Yes         No   

Intrigued by that Jaune immediately pressed Yes.

[String manipulation] is a skill based on [Mana Thread] which allows the user to create strings of mana at longer distances and control them at will or with the use of your fingers. This skill can be used to restrain or choke enemies.
Mana consumption scales with lvl of [Mana Thread].

Jaune kept staring at the window in front of him. Like dazed in a dream world. A wicked smile spread across his face as he began laughing.

To be continued...

Jaune Cross
Age:17
Lvl:1
Class: Tailor
Class lvl: 16

Skills:
[Mana Thread] lvl 18
[String Manipulation] lvl 1

Affinities:
Scissors
Needles
S

ewing machines

Info:
Skill lvls and class lvls max out at 20.
Once someone reaches lvl 17 with their class they are considered a master of their art.

The average lvl of a veteran hunter is between lvl 110 and 140. With exceptions of legends like the guild master of Beacon Ozpin, and the like.

Until next time
Umbra out!