Chapter 2 : Nightmare

Haein was now sitting at Chan's living room wrapped in a blanket with a cup of hot chocolate in her hand. The cops had taken her parents away. There would be further investigation on them and she'd have to go and give an official statement at the police station or maybe court. But for the night they let her go.

Chan brought her to his place for the night. Chan was sitting on the couch beside the one she was on. She told him how this abuse had been going on for years. And he understood it all.

"Do you think I did a wrong thing by calling you today? I'm glad that they're behind the bars for good but where will I go now? I don't even have any relatives. I'm really regretting my actions. At least I had a roof above my head and food to fill my stomach."

"Hey, don't ever say that. Abuse is never okay. What you did today was very brave of you. Not everyone can do that. You fought against that abuse. I'm very proud of you," Chan said with an empathic smile.

"I wish you were my family, Chris. Your always there when I need you," she said while looking at her cup.

Chan averted his gaze from her, stared at the cup in his hands and sighed, "We'll talk about this tomorrow. You should go get some sleep. It's been a rough night for you." She nodded.

He took her to the extra bedroom in his house. "You can sleep here for the night."

It was a nice decent bedroom. She sat on the bed. It was nice and comfy. "Good night, Haein," hee wished her good night. "If you need anything, you know where my room is," he added before closing the door of her room.

She layed down and closed her eyes while hugging a pillow, finally trying to get some sleep.

There she was, at home with her dad. Haein was just 5 years old. Her dad's friend had come to visit them.

"I'll go bring some snacks. You can talk to her," her dad said and went to the kitchen.

"Hey, do you want to show me your toys?" Dad's friend asked.

"Okay," she replied with a smile. She took him to my room.

She sat down on the floor and showed him her toys. "Wow! Those are some awesome toys you have! Do you like chocolates?"

She nodded, "Mhmm."

"Come sit here on my lap. I'll give them to you," she did as he said. He pulled out a chocolate and gave it in her hand. She looked at the chocolate happily.

But then she felt his hand running up her thigh. She tried to ignore it first but then it got way too uncomfortable. "U-uncle, what are you doing?"

"Shh, it's okay. You want more chocolates? I'll give you more if you listen to me." Tears filled up her eyes.

DAD! DAD?!

"DAD!" She woke up screaming and panting heavily. It was a dream. She heard the door open.

"What happened?" Chan yelled in a worried voice. She started crying again. Chan quickly came and sat beside her on the bed. He engulfed her in a hug. "It's okay. It was just a nightmare," he consoled her.

"What was it? You can share with me if you want to."

She told him what she saw. "It happened to me so long ago, yet I can't forget it no matter how much I try. I often get such nightmares."

Chan was left speechless. "What kind of monster does that? Especially to a child?!" He was disgusted and hurt for her. "Haein, listen, I promise you I won't ever let that happen to you again. And for that monster, God will punish him. If I ever got him in my hands then I would... Never mind. Try to sleep again. I hope the nightmare doesn't come back."

"Chris?"

"Hmm?"

"Can you stay with me for a bit? Just till I fall asleep?"

"Sure." She laid down again. Haein held his hand tightly. He started humming a sweet lullaby to help her fall asleep and it worked too. She was soon fast asleep.