Ch. 3

After we finished eating Toruk Makto's children met us where the water met the sand.

Neteyam led his siblings, him being the oldest it was like an automatic role to be the leader.

I knew this well as I too was the eldest. I greeted the siblings with a smile. Together me, Tsireya, Ao'nung, and Rotxo would teach the forest children.

"Today we will be going over basics, like breathing exercises. These are the first steps to becoming used to the water. You will prove not much use in the water if you can only stay under for increments of 8." I speak to the dark blue Na'vi, my siblings nodding as I talk.

Everyone split into pairs. Reya teaching Lo'ak, Rotxo teaching Kiri, Ao'nung teaching Tuktirey, and I teaching Neteyam. I divided it into who I thought would work best together, only pairing me and Neteyam together because of our earlier interaction at the flat stone.

I watched as everyone got situated before turning to Neteyam. "Sorry, thank you for being patient." I say voicing my gratitude.

"You are a good older sister." He commented making me grin with an eyebrow quirked.

"Where did that come from." I say in a teasing tone.

"Not in a weird way but I was watching you guide your siblings and you have natural leadership skills." He chuckles slightly.

"Well for what it's worth I think you're a pretty good older brother." I smile. "Let's begin."

We started the lessons and I talked of how you must breathe in with your stomach. "It greatly helps when you focus on slowing your heart to decrease panicking when you are holding your breath." I teach, Neteyam seemed to be greatly focusing on my words and his will to learn had me motivated to teach.

"Here." I guide his hand and place it on my chest over my heart. "Feel my heart beating, now as I take in a deep breath, I'll focus on slowing it down." I do as I said and Neteyam focused on the rhythm of my heart.

"Now try yourself, try to match our heartbeats, use mine as a guide." He nodded and gulped as I place my other hand on his chest.

"Breath in." I say, inhaling a deep breath of my own. "And hold." I whisper out.

It is silent as the noises of the other pairs wash away and the only sound between us is the sound of the water lapping against our bodies. We were close in proximity and I watch as Neteyam's face twisted, trying to focus on our heartbeats.

He lets out a gasp as his lungs quickly take in the air. I look at him a bit shocked as that wasn't much time at all.

Underneath my fingertips, I can feel his heart pounding hard against his ribcage.

The others seemed to be struggling as well. I had taught many young Na'vi breathing exercises similar to these yet this handful was somehow doing worse. I knew it would be hard but didn't realize how far we had yet to go.

"That's alright, let's try again, that was only the first time. Again, slow your heartbeat." We picked up from where we left off. Neteyam focused and tried hard, improving with each breath-hold. His heartbeat hadn't quite slowed down as much as I had hoped but it was still progress.

I left Neteyam alone for a moment, telling him to continue practicing, while I swam around to each pair. They seemed to be making progress as well, definitely not as much as Neteyam though which made my chest swirl with pride. My teaching skills were proving a success.

I return in front of Neteyam who noticed me right away. "How's it going?" I ask with my head slightly quirked and a smile on my lips.

"Actually a lot better, but, uh, nevermind." Neteyam randomly gets flustered which makes me giggle.