Friday, August 25, 2006

Valerie

I lie next to Emma on the beach and enjoy the view in front of me. Rose is building a sandcastle with Melissa. I love watching the two interact with each other. What I'm enjoying the most at the moment is the smile that can't be wiped off Melissa's face. "Do I now see a piece of Melissa from the past?". I ask Emma, who is busy on her phone. She nods and puts her phone aside. "The old Mel is coming back more and more. Thanks for that". I look at her in surprise. "For what?". She gives me a smile. "I think that Rose, but especially you, have a very large share in that". I shake my head. " What makes you think that?". She shrugs. "Since you came into her life I see her slowly but surely changing again". Suddenly Emma stands up quickly. "I'm going to run". Before I can even respond to it, I see Melissa and Rose coming our way. Not much later a bucket of water is thrown over me. Rose, Melissa and Emma laugh to tears. "You're going to regret this so much." Melissa throws her arms in the air. " It was not me. It was your princess's idea". Can Melissa just get out through laughter.

Melissa runs off as soon as I get up. It takes me a while to catch up with her and wrap my arms around her waist from behind. " I'm sorry". She's completely out of breath, but the laughter in her voice is still audible. "I told you you'd regret it." I say as I lift her bridal style. She tries to resist at first, but realizes that it is no use. She wraps her arms around my neck. Too scared I think I'll drop her. "Val, please don't do this to me." I look at her with a smile. Our faces aren't very far apart and it takes all the effort in the world not to kiss her. "You should have thought of that before." The whole way to the water we keep looking at each other with a smile.

Melissa cries out as soon as I throw her in the water. I just don't leave too quickly and she pulls me with her. After which a whole fight starts who can get the other underwater the most. "Lis stop". I say laughing and try to get away from her. Melissa looks at me with a grin. " I didn't know you couldn't handle tickling." I'm not fast enough and Melissa has caught me again. Fortunately, I am quickly helped out of the tickle attack when Rose and Emma join us. The four of us spend some time in the water.

After a while, Melissa wraps her arms around my neck from behind. She really leans on me. "Thanks for another great day". she whispers in my ear. I stiffen when she kisses me on the temple. I also see Emma looking surprised. I regularly give Melissa a kiss on the head, but she has never done this to me before. I can tell you it feels great. It's a confirmation for me that Melissa really feels comfortable with me.

I had a really great day. On the way home we stopped at a restaurant, where we had a delicious meal. At home we all plopped down on the couch. Rose soon fell asleep on Melissa's lap. Meanwhile, Melissa has also fallen asleep herself. I grab my phone and take a picture of the two of them. "Do you now believe what I said? That you are a big reason for Mel's behavior". I look at Emma with a smile. "Okay, maybe you're right." I actually can't believe Rose and I are responsible for that, but it sure seems like it. Conversely, I'm sure Melissa makes life look a lot more fun. I just really don't know what to do anymore to get rid of my feelings for Melissa. She really makes that impossible.