xxvi.

twenty-six ── old acquaintances

"𝕹ight baby!" Luke looked up, accepting the kiss that Eden pressed to his hair as he continued to finish up homework. "Don't stay up too late, go to bed soon."

"Yeah, I'm almost done."

"Good, good. Remember, dad's picking you up from school tomorrow for hockey." Eden poked her head back into the room to speak to him. "He said he'll be there on time."

"Yeah, that's cool." Luke nodded again, shrugging his shoulders. "How long's he staying for?"

"A week?" Eden guessed, before pulling a face. "I don't know, Luke. You know he's a bit in the wind at points, kind of hard to pin him down. He'll be here for as long as he's able to ignore his phone."

"Week sounds good."

"What are you two planning?"

"Nothing!" Luke remedied quickly. "Dad said that he and I were gonna go into the city at one point. Think he's taking me to watch a basketball game."

"Sounds fun." Eden nodded, before kissing his head again. "Go to bed."

"I'm on it. You're distracting me." He pulled a face as his mom left the room quickly. Luke turned back to his work, easily flicking through the last of his math's questions as best he could. Finally, he was done and Luke stretched, before grabbing his water bottle from the table and going to fill it up.

Jogging down the stairs, Luke patted Bradley's sleeping form from where he was collapsed in his dog bed, before filling his water bottle up and starting to flick off lights. As he walked back through the house, he was blinded by a quick flash to his right. Turning his head, Luke found a  flash light being used to get his attention.

Every nerve in his body was on high alert, as Luke grew tense, and began to think of what he could do. Turning back, he flicked the outside light on, before recognising the face that stared back at him.

He'd know those eyes anywhere. They haunted his dreams and reminded him of why he shouldn't be comfortable around a god, let alone safe in a house.

Luke stood, before opening the door and stepping outside, grabbing keys as he went.

"What are you doing here?" He wrapped his arms around himself, staring down at the younger teenager, who was watching him carefully.