xii.

twelve ── talks

"𝕷uke!" The boy paused at the sound of Eden's voice. "If I come up those stairs, I hope I find you doing homework."

Eden heard the sound of hurried thumps as she knocked gently on his door. 

"Come in?" 

Opening it, she found Luke sitting at his desk, smiling innocently with a pen in his hand.

"See, I'm doing homework."

"Nice try, your book's upside down." He looked down at his book, before huffing. "English?"

"No, history. I've got to do that family tree and I don't know what to do. It's not like I can say 'oh my dad is an Olympian god who's family relationship is very messed up'." Luke huffed, before turning to the paper. "So, I'm stuck."

"Well, let me know if you need any help. I'm sure I can get your father to sit down in one place and make a decent cover story for you if needed." 

"Thanks." Luke nodded, before cocking an eyebrow. "What do you need though?"

"I was going to tell you about the charity gala that my mom and I host each year." Eden sat on the edge of his bed, watching her boy carefully. "Basically, mom and I pick a charity and invite a lot of people to donate to the charity of our choice."

"Okay..."

"Normally, the whole family goes but if you don't want to, you don't have to." Eden carried on, "and I've got to choose the charity for this event."

"Cool. What do you need me to do though?" 

"I was wondering whether you'd like to pick the charity this year." Eden held the folder out to Luke. "Ashlee narrowed it down to five, and you can make the final decision. Anyone of them is a good one."

"I can try." Luke flipped the folder open, his eyes going wide. "Ancient Greek?"

"Your father thought that might be more your style and I decided to give it a go." Eden stopped in the doorway, watching as Luke began to read through it. "He said something about your brain being hardwired for another language."

"Yeah, no, I can read it." Luke nodded, smiling. "Thanks, Eden."

"You're more than welcome." She closed the door, heading down the stairs as Luke flipped through the folder, reading the names of each charity. He felt himself start to tear up, a small grin appearing on his face as he found that each one was related to helping children in the foster systems have better lives, starting with more funding for foster homes, charities to help with university and funds for school and healthcare.

He finally knew what his family tree was going to be on.

☾☼☽