xxii.

twenty-two ── the gala

𝕿he invitation in his hand was a stark reminder of what tonight was. 

Hermes sat in his temple, flipping the invitation over and over again in his hand as he thought of what to do. Did he go to the gala and subject himself to standing in Eden's intoxicating presence all night, surrounded by annoying people who would try to converse with him, or did he not go, and possibly risk disappointing both Eden and Luke, who might have both gotten their hopes up that he would be there?

He didn't know which would be worse. It had been a long time since his emotions had played a part in his decision making, and he didn't know what to do with it. Nor did it help that all his brain could focus on was that moment that Eden kissed him, on her porch on Christmas Eve. It had been so sudden, and he had been laughing about something, and he had looked down at Eden, who looked just as beautiful as she normally did, and thought about kissing her, and then she had stood on her tiptoes and kissed him. She had kissed him!

Hermes was a god who had kissed many people in his lifetime, but he had never known euphoria such as being kissed by Eden Jones. 

She had kissed him in the snow, and then pulled away and stared at him for a moment, and time seemed to freeze, before she had slammed a door in his face and brought him back down to reality. Hermes had stood outside of her door for a good few minutes, staring at the spot where she had once been, before disappearing back to Olympus, thoughts running around his head a mile a minute.

He had not been able to get it off his mind ever since, even after telling Eden that he would not pursue her romantically.

Hermes sighed once more, before staring back down at the invitation and making his decision. Placing it down, he found one of his suits that had just been dry cleaned, pulling it on and looking for a pocket square. He had no clue what his son, or Eden were wearing, but he decided on the gold one. It felt right.

The god took a mere few minutes to style his hair and spray on his cologne, patting his pockets to make sure he had his phone and a watch, before tying his shoes. The last thing to grab was the envelope, and then Hermes was hurrying away from his temple and down to the elevator so that he could leave for the gala.

The elevator seemed to take an increasingly longer amount of time, and Hermes was anxiously tapping his foot, hoping that he wasn't late as he checked the time periodically.

"Sir..." He brushed past the person at the desk, opening the door and stepping into the waiting car. It sped off as soon as the door closed, and Hermes continued to tap his foot, his anxiety growing. Had he made the right choice? Would Eden truly be happy to see him at the gala? Would Luke be happy to see him there? Were there going to be lots of people?