Chapter 2: Mission

Three days passed since that casual meeting with Yuri, so Aria decided to allocate a specific amount of money on the upcoming banquet she was going to hold. She had to call a specific amount of people. Exactly 10 families and 30 followers of hers, in order to strengthen her own position in the business field and those people were from very famous transportation companies, manufacturers and very successful company owners. She was going to earn their favor and build a trustworthy company all on her own with the help of her parents' inheritance. Aria was going to open up a business soon and declare the end of her career as an SSS agent and rather earn more money and live comfortably instead. She planned on probably quitting her job at SSS too, but didn't set a time for it yet.

"Walter-san, please start preparing for the banquet. This is the limit to how much you can spend freely. Call for Millie-san and ask her for the flower delivery a day before the banquet. The flowers must look at their top condition. The reception hall "Diamond Doris" should be enough for this one... after all these people will be the foundation for my business and many of these people will be my future investors and partners." She said passing a stack of papers, neatly organised in different folders.

"I won't disappoint you, Desmond-sama."  the butter said and gave her a polite bow.

"You never do. I believe I have a meeting with the Lieutenant in two hours. Call in Marie-chan, please." She said and got up from her table and stretched her legs, while the older man excused himself and left the room.

Two minutes later, a short girl with mid-length black hair and green eyes walked in.
She politely greeted the Desmond and got to her work. She picked up the three piece suit of the day and dressed the woman up, did her makeup and hair. The moment she finished, Aria bolted out of the room to get to her destination quickly. Her chauffeur was waiting next to the car door and opened it the moment Aria came into his view. She was carrying her usual suitcase and a pair of shades to not draw too much attention to her face. She sat in the car, as it was moving swiftly along the barren streets of Ostania.

It was understandable though, since it was very early in the morning. Aria started to doze off, however, the chauffeur was already parked at the parking lot of the restaurant.

"Desmond-sama, we have arrived." He said before noticing that the woman fell asleep. Glancing back at her, he decided to say it louder. The young girl heard him and instantly got out all groggy, heading to the restaurant. At that hour it just opened, she thought and walked in the building in front of her.

The waitress came up to her and greeted her, asking where she wanted to sit.

"I reserved under the name of Valentine Cross." She said with a polite smile, as the waitress remembered the reserved table.

She showed her the way and there she saw the Lieutenant, sitting in the back of the restaurant. It was quite a secluded place, it was to Aria's liking.

She was wearing dress shoes, which had the tiniest heel that made confident clacking noise, wherever she walked.

When she got close enough, she gave him a very quick salute when she was sure that nobody was looking.

"You are early, Aria-san." He said looking at his watch.

"So are you, Lieutenant. Since when have you arrived?" Aria asked, curiosity getting the best out of her.

"Ten minutes ago... anyways... I have a mission for you and Yuri Briar. It is not  confirmed yet, however, it is said that the newly formed terrorist group have banded together with a group of scientists. They are also rumoured to be associated with the "Project Apple". We have to look into it and eliminate them as soon as possible." The Lieutenant said with his fingers interlaced in front of his mouth, hiding his expression well. His cold and calculating look made Aria slightly uncomfortable. She knew the man for years, and she instantly recognised that it was something very serious, deserving of utmost urgency, since the Lieutenant asked to meet up with her personally.

"So, in which way would Yuri Briar help this operation?" The woman asked with a slight nervousness to her voice. 

"I believe you've heard about this boy. He is a natural, a prodigy one might say. Despite his looks that he uses as his tool, he is incredibly intelligent, whereas you are a natural born leader. Not many people are compatible to work with him, which is why I entrust him to you. You would be able to make a good use of him, Captain. He is exceptionally good at managing work... lucky for you, you might finally start giving me worthwhile reports." said the cold man.
Lieutenant was someone she looked up to as a father. He was strict, however, whenever she gave an outstanding performance, he would look at her with gentle and proud eyes. Aria always yearned for fatherly love, but was too embarrassed to admit it. She deeply cared for that man, as if he really was her guardian. He was the one to introduce her to this field of work by chance, when he met her at the shooting range once, perfectly hitting the targets in the bullseye. Thought her stance was incorrect, he was impressed at her natural talent at shooting, which is why he recuited her.

"I believe it's time to order something and get to the details of the mission as we eat." The girl smiled and waved at the waitress, who anxiously waited for them to order their meal a little further away, off to the side.

"What seafood do we have here? Let me get the sea bass and ceaser salad. Bring us some bread sticks with garlic and some red wine. What brands do you have? What would you recommend?" The woman easily asked for her own order.
"What type do you prefer, Madam? We have a lot to choose from." The waitress asked cautiously.
"I would like something bold and fruity."
"Then I can recommend you Argentinian Malbec or Shiraz."
"Then let's try the Malbec. Would love to experiment on such great day like this." She said and smiled sweetly at the waitress, which made the latter's ears turn completely red. The waitress was flustered under the lady's gaze.

"I'll get a medium-rare steak and that's it." He said and turned his attention back on the SSS agent. The waitress wrote everything down and ran towards the kitchen.

"Yuri Briar is inflexible and needs some guidance. Teach him to be more open to new experiences." Lieutenant asked with a smallest hint of emotion.

"I will try my best, Lieutenant." She said and gave that man a business smile.

"You're growing up so fast. It's only as if it was yesterday, when you were a whiny, snot-nosed 15 year old child. Now you are a full-fledged woman in her 20s. You grew up well."

"It's all thanks to you. Without you, I would have never accomplished and had all the things that I do right now. So please, let me be greedy once and ask you something... don't leave me too Lieutenant... I don't want to be alone anymore." Aria said with a genuine smile, trying her hardest not to burst into tears at that exact moment. The words that came out of that man's mouth meant a lot for her.

"This line of work is very dangerous, so I can't promise you that. However, I can promise that I will try my best to be someone by your side, helping you for as long as I can, Ari-chan." He whispered quietly and messed her hair up a bit. Instead of complaining as she always did in the past, she just enjoyed the moment.
The sun seemed brighter that day.