Rekindling a Past Friendship

Zoey sat there with Drew. They were busy with divorce papers. Fiona was with David and the others. She was staying at Drew's for the next week due to Zoey's vacation. She was hopping in the plane that evening. Drew had agreed to meet up with her anxiously. His heart was still burning with his passionate love for her. He was getting butterflies just listening to her. He was getting better slowly. It had been four weeks since he'd left and they were nearly ready to turn the divorce papers in. He knew he couldn't go back this time.

They stayed mostly silent, aside from casual conversation about how their respective families were. Zoey's parents were so angry at her and half of them wouldn't speak to her after she told them the whole situation. Her parents and brother were the only ones still speaking to her at the moment, and they had nothing nice to say. Drew shook his head as he listened to her.

"Are you happy with him or?" He asked and she looked down. "I am, it's just..." She sighed. "I'm so sorry, I didn’t mean to start this again. I thought I was over him from high school then he came back and I wasn't." Zoey said and Drew frowned. "I ran into Jake." He admitted and Zoey stared at him. Drew sighed as Zoey's eyes stayed wide. He blushed and rolled his eyes. "Quit giving me that look, I just said I ran into him, not that I made out with him!" Drew exclaimed at his ex. "I know, I know, it's just... I know how much you cared for him."

Zoey did have a conscience, it just didn't show often. In order to make herself feel better, she convinced Drew that she was his soulmate again. She slowly wormed her way back into his heart. She slowly became a habit. A routine for him. She reverted back into the manipulator she thought she was done with. "Zoey, please don't act like you actually care about me." Zoey frowned. "I do." She insists and Drew stared at her in disbelief. "I know you don't think I do but I do." She repeats and he rolled his eyes. He still didn't believe her.

Drew got home around dinner time and sat in his bed with Fiona. He was exhausted. Who knew talking to Zoey, his wife, would be so tiring? Derek was cooking and Drew hugged Fiona tightly. His daughter was still adjusting to the new schedule. He laid down and Fiona laid on his chest, staring up at him with adoring, bright green eyes. "Fiona, I'm so sorry." He whispers, running a finger through his hair. "It's okay, Daddy."  She whispered back and Derek opened the door. He places his hand on heart, smiling at his little brother and niece in adoration. "Dinner." He called and Drew picked Fiona up. "Let's go, Fi." He said to her, leaning his forehead against his daughter's gently. Fiona hugged her dad's neck and he grinned. Fiona was truly his everything.

Drew couldn't understand why anyone would give this up. Why would his mom give this up? Holding his sweet, perfect child gently was Heaven to Drew. How could anyone walk out of this? He truly didn't understand.

The family ate together. Hope sitting in between her parents as Fiona sat in between Aaron and Drew. Lilac sat with David. Drew glared at Lilac abd she put her phone away. To Drew, dinner was a time to communicate and so he had a strict no phones at the table rule. Even Derek and David followed this rule. It wasn't worth the glare. "Tomorrow I'm hanging out with Jake. Is that alright, Fiona? Will you behave if I go see my friend?" He asked. "Yeah." Fiona chirped and he pats her head. "I trust you." He told her and Derek smiled. "A date, Drew? Isn't it too soon?"

Drew blushed and glared at him. "It's not a date! We're just going for coffee together." Drew explained and Lydia hummed. "You're allowed to date." She joked. "Lydia, not you too!" He groaned and Fiona stared at him suspiciously. "Date?" She asked and Drew's face got a little redder. "They're just picking on me sweetie, it's not a date." He told her and she smiled. "Oh." Derek grinned. "Well, have fun." He told Drew and Drew smiled. "Thanks, I will."

Drew listened to his daughter's breaths as she sleeps. He was laying beside her, she didn't want her own room. Drew's bed was huge so it could fit both of them. He was slightly sleepy himself, but found he was too excited to fall asleep. He had an alarm set for eight in the morning and needed to rest. He shut his eyes, forcing himself asleep.

When his alarm blared it awoke Fiona and he was up instantly. Fiona stared at him and he tucked her back under the covers. "Go back to sleep. I love you." Drew said, kissing her forehead as she shut her eyes again, smiling.

He slipped out of bed, yawning and he swayed over to his dresser, getting dressed and walking out of the house. "Enjoy yourself!" Lydia shouts and he shushes her, reminding her of the sleeping relatives.

Drew drove there, he was so excited! Seeing Jake gave him nostalgia, it took his mind back to highschool. Back when life was simple. He missed those days. Back when Lia was in the group. And Jake. Back when their hangouts at places like the mall were fun. He loved Henry, Liam, and Zoey but life was boring without Jake in it. He missed the two dearly.

Jake stood outside of the coffee shop, waving and running towards Drew. It was the one where Drew and Jake had their first ever hangout. "This is nice." Jake said and Drew just nods. The smell made him feel warm. He adored the scent of coffee. Jake smiled, watching Drew's expression. His beautiful dark brown eyes. They were so deep and mysterious, just like they always had been.

Jake trues not to frown. He felt so guilty. He needed to tell Drew but knew he couldn't. But his mouth felt like it would pry open! Jake's lips opened to say it then closed. He couldn't say it. Drew was so happy and he didn't want to ruin it. "After this, do you want to go back to my mom's? She's so excited we're friends again." Jake asked. Drew looked at him, sipping his bittersweet coffee. "Hmm, sure." Drew said. He just sips the coffee a little more and suppresses a grin. He'd love to see Jane and Milo again. Plus Oreo, she's so old that it might be his last time seeing her.

The two silently finished their coffees in an awkward but surprisingly comfortable silence. Jake's heart raced as he tried to keep what was going on hidden. He didn't want to worry Drew. He knows how Drew tends to get emotional, even if he doesn't show it. He can mask the feelings all he wants, Jake knows Drew and he knows when his friend is hurting. Jake hurt him really bad in highschool. Drew hurt Jake. They both needed to put that behind them. If Drew finds out, there will be a chance it could bring him back to painful memories.

Jake led Drew to his car and Drew decoded to ask. "Your mom still has the same address, right?" Drew asked and Jake nodded. "See you there, Drew." Jake grinned.

Jake hopped in his car and took a deep breath. Now he just had to hope his mom and Milo keep their mouths shut. Drew cannot know about this. It's only for two weeks anyways. It'll be fine.

"But I still feel bad lying to him." Jake murmured to himself. "Well, he'll be busy soon. With the company and his family. Soon he won't even... have time for me." Jake didn't like the sound of that but he'd already convinced himself it was true. "Drew won't even notice I left." He reassured himself.