Chasing Bullshits and Lies

Okay this was totally not what she thought when she thought of Nigel's wedding. An ancient dusty old courtroom where the walls were bleak and grey. Cobwebs literally hung in each corner. Wynter dusted her black silk dress for the third time. The length of her dress swished around her ankles.

The box was small and poky. It's corners poked into the palm of her skin. It was black leather. The material soft to touch. She flipped it around in her palms as she waited for the bride to come.

Nigel stood beside her. His hand in his pocket and the other tapping away on his phone. He didn't look at her after she got dressed and entered into the black SUV. He didn't look at her when he reached out to hold her elbow as she walked up the stairs of the courthouse. He didn't look at her when he plopped the box into her palm.

She bit her lip. They were waiting here forever. Reggie hadn't come out. He had gone to look for the bride. It was so weird that they both called her The Bride. Like a commodity. It made her wanted to punch both of them. She rocked on her heels feeling restless.

"Stop moving." His hard voice filled the empty room and almost jolted the old wrinkly court minister from sleep.

She didn't listen.

"Stop it, Wynter. Behave for once in your life."

That got her eyes clashing with fire. "Don't ever talk to me like that, Nigel. I'm not a child anymore."

She got back to rocking back and forth and when she looked up, Nigel's eyes seized upon her like a hawk. "You still are. Living in that cottage just showed me you still fucking are."

She licked her lips. "I hope your wife murders you in her sleep."

She gasped at how bad that sounded. Especially to someone like him. Even though she never cowered, her body remembered what it felt like when she backlashed with him and his words coming out to hit her back. She remembered it like it was yesterday.

Nigel smirked. "You have become vicious, haven't you?"

"Learnt from you." She responded, the box slipping from her palms because she started to sweat. When she caught the box before it bounced off the floor, Nigel frowned. "That's an expensive ring."

That's all he said. He didn't say anything like watch it or my soon to be wife will murder you. The door swung open and her ponderous thoughts left her as she waited for the bride. The bride. She hoped she had a better name than The Bride.

Only to see Reggie rubbing his hands over each other. "What's the matter?" Nigel barked irritably.

She would have been irritated too if her soon to be wife/husband kept her waiting. The air around Reggie was mildly panic. He whispered harshly into Nigel's ears. Nigel's already scowl turned deeper. His eyes then swooped to hers, as if calculating.

"Wynter and I will get married then."

Her tongue hit the roof of my mouth. She struggled to swallow let alone speak as he yanked her by her elbow putting her up beside him in front of the minister.

"Bless this union immediately."

The minister didn't even bother to be shocked. He flipped the pages, standing up slowly. He started to speak words she has heard but somehow she just watched his lips move and glanced at Nigel whose stare was straight ahead.

"I do." Nigel's gravel voice jerked her upright.

"And do you, Wynter Graham take Nigel AeTos as your husband?"

She opened her mouth, and the words rolling out of her. "No."

***

"No? NO? I need you to say "I Do" because I need my property back. That mansion belongs to me." Nigel's hold on her elbow burnt.