41. Nico

December 23,22 (week 21 of pregnancy)

A week later and two days before Christmas, Gio, Arrow and Carson got rid of Declan after viewing the video from the CCTV that Arrow had installed in their house after getting permission from Declan's terrified wife. It didn't take long for the cameras to capture what we had all knew. Declan hitting his son and wife.

"Take the boys and Jackie to the garden while I deal with him," Gio had said to me and I nodded.

"Come along boys, Jackie," I smiled at the terrified woman who had a fresh bruise on her cheek, "come, we can watch the kids play out back." She bit her bottom lip as she flinched when the front door banged open and Declan came in yelling and cursing as Arrow and Carson dragged him by the arms.

"Jackie!" Her abuser yelled and I held my hand for her and she tentatively placed her hand on mine and I gave it a gentle squeeze before leading her away as Declan yelled after her.

"You're okay, Jackie," I whispered as I led her outside where the boys were already playing in the playground Gio had built for them during the summer.

I walked towards one of the picnic tables and cleared some of the snow before sitting down and Jackie did the same across from me. "I wanted," she began and I just sat there waiting for her to gather her thoughts and in the background I could hear the boys laughing and screaming in delight with the dogs barking as they played. Aros had made it his mission to include Dawson in his and Tanner's games. Seeing all three boys playing brought a smile to my face.

I hope that these three can move past their differences and become friends. I know they've had their fair share of disagreements and fights but it was all because Dawson didn't know how to express himself in a way that wasn't through violence as that was all he's known in his home. "I'm sorry." I turned back to Jackie and titled my head and she rubbed her hands together as a cold gust of wind blew our hair and we shivered.

"I'm sorry for what Dawson has done in the past," she said as tears filled her eyes and she sniffled but I smiled shaking my head and reached for her hand before giving it a light squeeze. She looked up at me and I could see her fear and pain and sadness in her soft green eyes.

"There is nothing for you to be sorry for, Jackie," I said and she shook her head and went to reply but I held my hand up and she closed her mouth, "Dawson was only doing what he thought was normal and that was by bullying because he grew up with his father being a bully."

"Yet that doesn't mean he should've been mean to the little masters," she said as she looked towards the playground where the buys were playing with snow. "He knows better than that."

"Let's not dwell on the past, Jackie," I said as we watched them play, "they are children and they have learned that mistakes happen and that violence is never the answer to anything regardless of what anyone says or does."

"There will be time in the future when violence is the only answer, though," she said and I hummed in agreement.

"But until that day comes, we should let them be children and allow them to enjoy that." I said and she liked over at me and I smiled, "you and Dawson are safe you know." She swallowed as she looked away and back at her son who was laughing and throwing a snowball at Aros who narrowed his eyes before grinning and doing the same. The boys dogs barked and chased as they ran Aron's throwing snowballs at each others.

"I fear that Declan will do more harm to us now that the Don kno—" a gun shot rang and I looked towards the house as Jackie rushed towards the kids who had stopped playing because of the noise and the dogs barked and growled as they stood in a protective stance in front of them. I felt my heart race in my chest as the sliding glass door opened and out came Declan with blood splattered on his white button up shirt. I backed away towards Jackie and the boys and held my hand towards him.