35. Nico

September 25, 2022 (week 8 of pregnancy)

The house was a buzz. People were coming and going carrying large boxes to the back and I could only raise my brow and shook my head. Celine, Summer and Lilly have said that today was the day was our gender reveal and to be honest I was quite amazed how quickly those three managed to pull this off. I know for a reason that had I been the one planning  it, it would've taken at least two or three weeks but then again, the girls were more agile and quicker than I was when it came to short notice.

"Mama?" I looked down at Tanner and he had a little frown over his face and I smiled rubbing between his brow to relax his face, he blinked making me chuckle as I continued making my way to the kitchen to prepare us some late lunch. Aros had gone with Gio to look at a puppy for Tanner—but said boy doesn't know it though.

"Yeah, lovely?" I asked setting him on the counter once I entered the kitchen.

"Why big men hewe?" He asked titling his head as he liked out the window at the yard.

"Well, your aunties are throwing us a surprise." I replied and he frowned again, "but we have to pretend we don't know so don't look, okay?"

He blinked before nodding, "okay mommy." I smiled and pressed a kiss to his forehead before I got the chicken from the fridge that I took out from the freezer last night to thaw. I grabbed a bowl from the cupboard along with the cutting board to cut up the chicken into cubes. Once those were cut up, I placed them in the bowl where I seasoned the cubed chicken with salt and pepper then I added ¼ cup teriyaki sauce and mixed it all in until the chicken was well-coated. I covered it with a plastic wrap and placed it into the fridge to marinate at least half an hour.

I next grabbed a deep skillet I heated 2 tablespoons of cooking oil, then added the par-cooked noodles. I let it cook for 1-2 minutes, allowing the noodles to crisp, then flipped for it so it could cook for another 1-2 minutes. I transferred the noddles to a plate and set aside once it was done.

In the same wok, I heated 1 tablespoon of cooking oil, then add the chicken—once the half hour had passed. I cooked it for 3-4 minutes, until browned on one side, then stirred it and cook for another 3-4 minutes, until fully cooked through. I set the chicken aside afterwards.

I add 1 tablespoon of oil, the onion, and carrot j. The same pan and let it cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the onions are translucent. Then I added the broccoli and cabbage. Like I did with the other ingredients, I stirred and cooked for 1-2 minutes, then seasoned with salt and pepper and let it cook for 3 minutes more, until the vegetables are soft.

I grabbed the cooked chicken and crispy noodles and added them back to the wok, along with the remaining ¼ cup of teriyaki sauce. I tossed them well and let it cook for cook for 2-3 minutes, until everything is well-combined and garnished it with sesame seeds.

"Yummy," Tanner exclaimed from the island where he sat eating some cookies while I cooked. The door to the apartment soon opened and the sound the of Aros and Gio walked into the kitchen making Tanner beam. I smiled and sat him down on the ground and off he went to greet his brother and dad.

"Daddy! Awos!" He screeched in delight before I heard a gasp and raised a brow as I followed him into the entry way. "PUPPY!"

*****

"Oh wow," I gasped as Gio, the boys, the puppy and I walked out into the yard. "This looks amazing."

The yard was decorated beautifully with earthy tones. I had figured the girls would have gone with the d of the traditional blue and pink that I've seen many people on the internet use. In a corner there was a black board and beside it was a little rattan table set up with a dried floral vase and team boy or girl stickers to place on a poster with their guesses.

The main backdrop for the party was set up in a corner there was a gorgeous bamboo screen with handmade yarn tassel garland and a balloon garland was beautiful. Around the yard was decorated with a variety of lanterns and vases filled with greenery. There was also an outdoor bar that included the most stunning tropical florals arrangement I have ever seen and a signature cocktail.

"Summer made the mocktail with pineapple, grapefruit and guava juice," Lilly said as she joined us as the bar and we looked at her surprised, "do you like the decorations so far?"

"It's beautiful," I said and she smiled in relief, "but what about the food?"

"That will be over here," Celine said and we looked over to where she was and saw a table filled with all of the food. A beautiful arrangement, " we got all of the decor form West and Rock Designs," She said and we nodded. "James and I made all the food." Gio raised a brow and she grinned. The food included: spinach dip, a fruit tray, garden salad, meatballs, rolls, stuffed shells and a dessert tray filled with mini treats ranging from cheesecake bites to chocolate covered strawberries decorated with oh baby picks. The plates, napkins and flatware were all disposable and matched the theme perfectly.

"You three really outdid yourselves with this," Gio said and they sighed in relief once we had all gathered at the backdrop.

"We can start the games first or we can do the reveal?" Lilly asked.

"Games?" I asked and she nodded before listing off the type of games that she and the other two girls thought about.

"I mean we can start with a few games and then finish with the rest," I said and she nodded.

"Sound perfect."

******

"Gather up everyone!" Summer yelled catching everyone's attention—everyone meaning the gang. I knew that there were a few guards missing that wee stationed in the three gates that led to the den so the yard wasn't filled as much as it would have been had they all been here.

"We are all here to learn what gender of the future leader of the gang will," Lilly said as Gio and I joined her and the others with Tanner and Aros. The gang gathered around and waited. Lilly handed us each streamer poppers, "alright, on the count of three you can pop them."

We set Tanner and Aros down on the ground and held the poppers a few inches away and when Lilly had counted to three, we popped the streamers and pink confetti rained down on us making Gio and I grin as I jumped into his arms as he laughed hugging me.

"Turned out Tanner and Aros were right," I said once he sat me back on my feet and he grinned.

"They sure were."