Chapter Twelve

Alas, she understood why Jane had been in two minds about the exact status of her relationship with Braden. Giving it a name was a scary step. It made things official. If things turned serious, then how would she explain to her family about William. They weren't exactly fond of him, except Jane. She held him in high regard due to his friendship with Braden. But again, her sister gave everyone the benefit of the doubt.

Explaining to them about her trip to London was hard enough. She had been bombarded with texts, voice notes and video calls, the tones ranging from bewildered exclamation to wondrous interrogation. She had satisfied their morbid curiosity by sharing pictures of British landmarks and promising to bring home souvenirs. Now, her father had also questioned her about the photographer. She had given him a simple response that a friend had taken it.

"I still think that we should get something for your aunt. I mean, it's my first-time meeting here and I don't want David to lose her patronage, as he puts it," Ella said as they drove to Surrey in a chauffeured-driven car.

"Let me tell you the number of times I have shown up at her place empty-handed," William jested, reaching out to squeeze her hand. "Hey, don't fret. She will like you."

Still worrying her lower lip, Ella shoved her nerves away. It was silly to ponder so much about making a good impression on a stranger. She had never done so before—titled or not.

"When we go home, you should come visit my place," William suggested, entwining their fingers.

Ella's stomach lurched. This was the first time; he had mentioned any reference to their future. They had discussed everything but that. If they weren't being touristy, they couldn't keep their hand off each other, savouring satiated sighs in the bedroom. He was an amazing lover.

"We have plenty of time to figure things out," he picked up the conversation at her silence. "I leave England not soon after you do."

"We will be long distanced," she remarked.

"I know." He sighed emphatically. "It won't be the same. I will miss having you in my arms and in bed."

Glad for the glass partition that afforded them privacy from the driver, she fought a blush. "William, what will Lady Catherine say when she hears such a scandalous thing from your lips?"

"Oh, I am sure she had done some outrageous things to have a brood of two kids of her own," he said.

"William, it would be nice if you visited Jersey City. I mean, there is no accommodation issue. I am sure Braden will allow you to stay at Netherfield, and maybe, he can visit as well," Ella began, steering towards the topic close to her heart.

Ella had been biding for the right time. She hadn't had the chance to bring up the subject earlier. Her impending return to the States had exposed her to the reality that she had barely enough time left with William. Being with him, she had the privilege to peel the intricate layers off him to glimpse the lighthearted, carefree guy. She knew if she confided in her sisters about this, they would think of her as delusional.

Something flickered across his face. His jaws tightened. "Braden is busy right now. I am not sure he can spare a moment," he said.

"When did you last talk to him?" she prodded.

"Just a few days ago."

"Where was I?"

"No idea."

There it was: the monosyllable answers. With a frown, she said, "My sister is in Manhattan visiting a friend. Perhaps, she would be able to meet Braden."

"Maybe. He is quite occupied with a deadline," he stated.

Despite feeling she had hit a dead-end, Ella persisted, "Your family's business is making microchips for all sorts of things, right. How did you come about financing Braden's company?"