Chapter Fourteen

Once Ella was snuggled in her childhood bed, she ripped the letter open. Eagerness made adrenaline sough in her ears. She began to read aloud.

Hi Ella,

I don't know why I am being so old-school here and writing you a letter rather than an email... When you receive this, you will be back home. The weather has been awful in London. The English are fond of reminding me that it's raining cats and dogs here. They do love their animals even during these dreary days. Sorry, it was meant for a joke, but I am not as humorous or witty as you are.

Now, I am not writing to talk about frivolous things but because of the two accusations that you levelled at me. Let's start with Braden. To you, it may appear that I may have separated Jane and him out of spite, but it was done in service of a friend. Braden is too trusting and he has been let down by women before. My advice had been to take things slowly and let his passion cool to see if Jane is what he wants as his girlfriend. I didn't want him to get hurt, as I thought Jane to be indifferent. I may have been wrong in that regard, as you know your sister better than anyone else.

You have to understand I hadn't meant any ill-will to you and your family. But Braden's life transformed after his fortunes changed overnight. Men like us have to be sure that the people we let in are trustworthy and they won't talk to the media or our competitors. One online comment can ruin our reputation, whether it's right or wrong. The public as a jury is ruthless. Thus, the stakes are higher for us.

Further, your mother has never shown any discretion. At the ball at Netherfield, she was boasting about Braden and Jane's marriage to anyone who could hear. I must also say it's none of my business, but your younger sisters are far too spoiled for their own good, and your father does no better to guide them. I must exclude you, Jane and Mary from this. If you think I am being a prick for judging your younger siblings, please note that I am an older brother myself. I am twenty-eight and my sister is six years my junior.

This brings me to your second allegation: Wickham. The name still fills me with deep-seated loathing. I can't bear the presence of that man. It troubled me a great deal when I found out you were spending time with him. I hadn't realized, at the time, how I felt about you. It drove me crazy with jealousy. I am a passionate man. When I love, I love openly. What he told you about his childhood is partially right. He was my father's favourite. He has happy manners that can win anyone over. whereas I was always awkward and shy around others. My mother had worked hard on me to overcome my stammering. Now, my father also adored me. As a child and being almost the same age as Wickham, I could see who he was before anyone could.

When we were teenagers, it was too late for him to conceal his true self from me, for I had seen how he toyed with people in school (which my father provided for). In university, he gambled away the trust money my father had set up for him after his father's passing. He even lost his decent inheritance. Ambrose Wickham was a simple man who knew how to live within his middle-class means, but not Wickham. He squandered away his money, living the fast life and sleeping around with women. He used them for sex and money indiscriminately. Soon, the words spread in our circle and he was ostracized. He hurt my ex-girlfriend's sister badly, destroying my relationship with her as Belinda blamed me for not revealing his true character. I have tried, believe me, but Wickham is a conman. What I am about to reveal to you is personal information regarding my sister, Georgina, and I trust you implicitly that you won't tell a soul unless necessary.

When my father wizened up to Wickham's antics, as the evidence and his victims were piling up against him. He cut him off and given the bastard has no scruples, he set out to win Georgiana over. She was sixteen and unaware of what Wickham was. To her, he was a friend of the family. He got her hooked on drugs. We had no idea. She started acting out and stealing things from home. She even pilfered my mother's diamond necklace and gave it to Wickham. It was worth half a million. It's enough for anyone, but nothing is enough for him. He was bent on revenge and doing drugs with her was how he planned to do it. He was meticulous and ensured no one saw them together. Only one woman, who is Wickham's confidante. I suspect she is a friend with benefits and they watch out for each other. Also, by then Wickham had run away to Florida.