Chapter 3

The news of the sudden departure spread throughout the place like wildfire

The news of the sudden departure spread throughout the place like wildfire. The minute the King left the council meeting he went to tell his wife the news of their sudden departure to Florence. He saw her there in the garden with their daughter Mary holding hands with a maid trailing behind them. He snuck up from behind and gave his wife and daughter such a robust hug that they knew that they were very much loved.
"Oh Henry, what on Earth are you doing?" Putting them down he responds
"I just received fantastic news regarding the plan to acquire Medici gold."
"That's wonderful. Does Harry know?"
"Does he? He was there before the meeting even began." Like a concerned mother Elizabeth stressed her husband for more details.
"Well how did he take the news? You know how bad his temper can be?" Taking her hands in his he looked in her eyes so that she'd know everything would be alright.
"He didn't say much but, I do believe most if any doubts he had were squashed the minute he saw her portrait."
"That sounds great, so it's really happening, we're really going to Florence?"
"Yes, we're really going."

The next day over in the courtyard Harry was with his childhood best friend Charlie Brandon and one of the guards that came over to England with his now sister-in-law Princess Catherine, named Ovideo. Oviedo, unlike most of the other men in the Princess's party, was Moorish and a Muslim. However, no one truly minded the beliefs of someone so far removed from their own station and if the overbearingly devout had the unholy thoughts about the soldier they just choose to keep them to themselves for the time being. In hopes to get some answers out of his discontent best friend.
"What is it that's got your head all a mess?" Harry slowly put down his sword and looked at him.
"My parents want me to marry" he says stoically, making Charlie almost fall over with laughter.
"You get married? Didn't they just marry off your brother to the Spanish Princess for the alliance and all that Spanish gold?"causing Harry to chuckle knowing the circumstances for his proposed marriage plans.
"That's one of the problems we haven't received any of the gold for her dowry yet and the council is concerned with all of our enemies and with our lack of funds we need to pull off a miracle." At this moment Harry finally  notices Oviedo making a crossbow in the corner and calls him over.
"You, come here" Oviedo quickly rises from his seat placing his unfinished crossbow on the seat he was just sitting in and makes his way over to the young prince.
"Your Highness, what can I do for you?"Harry is quick to answer
"I know that you are a good and resourceful soldier. I would like to acquire your services. You will train with me every afternoon at 3 pm." Oviedo nods his head in response and says
"As you wish Your Highness" he starts to walk away when Harry calls him over.
"Where do you think You're going?" Oviedo looks confused and walks back over to the young Tudor prince in attention.
"My  apologies Your Highness I-"
"It's about three right now. Why don't we start today with archery?" Oviedo chuckled in approval saying
"As my Prince commands it" and then all three of them began to show off and to practice their archery skills with Charlie still pressing Harry and trying to get answers on who his best friend is supposed to marry. "Well if Arthur's the heir and his bride was a princess from Spain, then where is yours from?" Oviedo was trying not to listen; he was giving subtle advice to the young prince between shots on ways to improve his nearly perfect aim.
"She's from Florence '' Was all he said for both men to stare directly at him confused and also curious as to who would be marrying an English prince from Florence. Harry continued.
"Her name is Maddalena de'Medici." Oviedo knew that this wasn't his place so he pretended as though he hadn't heard anything coming from the young prince's mouth. Charlie on the other hand, was at first speechless then put his hand on his Best friends shoulder and said
"Medici, Your marrying a fucking Medici" Harry tried to shush his friend telling him
"Will you please quit making a scene! My parents are supposed to tell the rest of the court tonight at dinner."
"Alright, Alright I got it but, be careful you know what they say about how ruthless the Medici's can be. I just don't want to see you end up poisoned." Charlie says laughing, Harry just shakes his head in such a way that makes Charlie question that there's something else. Something else that he's not telling him yet.
"What?" Harry says in response to his friend's glaring look.
"What else? I know You Harry, we're best friends. We grew up together. I know when you're not saying everything, so say it." Harry takes a deep breathe and looks at his best friend and said
"Well we're technically not betrothed yet."
"What do you mean? You sounded pretty serious just a moment ago." he said in response to his Best friend's lack of information.
"What I mean is her family's got more money and power than anybody in the entire World. Hell they control the Pope! So we sent them a request to visit them when we get to Florence. While we're their I'm going to have to charm the girl and make her family think that she wants to marry me and the remainder of the court and my family will do everything in their power to convince her family that this is a good thing not just for her, but for everyone, with her becoming a princess through marriage she'll elevate the Medici name not just in those circles of money and Italy, but within the likes of all Europe." Charlie was astounded by his best friend's plan; he couldn't believe the amount of detail and planning that was put in. They might just pull this off.
"When do you leave?" He asked
"We leave in about two weeks and you'll be there to help me at every turn." Charlie was proud of his friend. He was going to finally stop tormenting his brother and his sister-in-law, do something good for his country, make his parents and his family proud, all while settling down.  It was at this Charlie chose it was time to give his friend some much needed advice.
"Oh I think I will warn you of what you've gotten yourself into dear friend." he said, holding both of Harry's shoulders with both hands.
"And what would that be?" Harry said.
Charlie couldn't hold back his laughter any longer and said
"Well for starters Italian girls from what I hear, and very beautiful, stubborn, loyal, but this new wife of your's, won't take any of your shit." He said, patting his best friend's shoulders once more before both boys walked away in a fit of laughter, leaving Oviedo all alone with the gossip the two boys just shared. Maybe now she'll talk to me about the beautiful moorish Lady that came over with the Princess, Lina as she was called. Maybe if I have something her mistress desires then maybe I'll get to see her beautiful face tonight.