6. Soul Siblings

- Ryonan POV -

We all swam underwater with the Tulkun. Ronal made her way to her soul sister. At some point, I saw Lo'ak near the surface, looking down. I took a look around before understanding why he was sad.

I made my way over to him and signed, "You want to see Payakan?" He nodded and signed back, "I just wonder why he was outcast"

"In every family, there is an outcast" I signed and he nodded too. I signed for him to follow me and we swam to a mother tulkun. "This is Ronal's sister. And this.. is her child" I signed and the baby swam in circles.

All of a sudden, a voice rang through my head with a quick surge of pain in my shoulder. "Shoot that animal" A rough voice it was. I grunted and had to swim up to the surface. Lo'ak resurfaced after me, "Ryonan, are you okay?" He asked me and I nodded after the pain quickly disappeared.

- later

Aonung, Rotxo, Tsireya, Neteyam and I decided to follow Lo'ak when he went to go meet Payakan. Payakan opened it's mouth and Lo'ak swam into it. I was confused, but I understood that no harm would be done.

Payakan closed his mouth, and quickly Netey swam forward in fear but I stopped him and gave him a look. He had to stay back, he didn't like it but he understood. A few minutes later, Lo'ak made it out safely.

We made it back to the village and suddenly, Tonowari and Ronal found out about what happened. We were taken to their cot, and the scolding began.

"You allowed this? You allowed him to be with the outcast?" Ronal said, stressed. "Ryonan. You disappoint me. And you too, Tsireya." Tonowari hardly said.

"And you.. son of a great warrior. Who has been taught better." He said to Lo'ak. "Payakan has saved my life, sir. You don't know him like I do" Lo'ak said back.

"Sit." Tonowari told us and Lo'ak went first. "SIT DOWN" He yelled and Neteyam, Aonung, and Tsireya sat down quickly. The olo'yktan looked at me, who was still standing, "Ryonan." He spoke and that made me go down.

"Hear my words boy.. in the days of the first songs, Tulkun fought amongst themselves. Their territory, and for revenge. But they came to believe that killing, no matter how justified only brings more killing. So killing, was forbidden.. this was the Tulkun way. Payakan, is a killer so he is outcast." He explained to us.

Lo'ak tried to tell Tonowari he was wrong, but he was roughly taken away by Jake. I mentally sighed, knowing that Jake didn't take the advice I gave him.

- hours later

I went out to go look for Lo'ak. I saw Aonung and decided to ask him, "Have you seen Lo'ak?" I asked and he didn't look at me, "No, ask Tsireya, maybe she knows" He shrugged. I replied with a hum and was about to walk away until he spoke up. "sis, you know I love you, right?" He said.

I turned back to look at him, "Why are you being weird, Aonung?" I asked and he shook his head, "No it's just.. I know I give you and our parents a hard time sometimes. I'm just saying I love you because you put up with me everyday.. nd you know, mother cares more about her unborn baby then us. Father.. he thinks i'm too much" He answered truthfully.

I went up to him and took his hand, "Bro, you're not too much. I love you as much as you love me, because you are my brother." I smiled and he did too, "Now stop worrying my baby bro, we love you" I kissed his cheek and walked off. "Ew- Sis!" He complained which made me chuckle.

I ran into Neteyam, "Netey!" I called out and he turned to me, "Oh, hey Ryonan. What's up?" Neteyam asked, "Have you seen Lo'ak? I need to talk to him" I said and he shook his head, "saw him last with Tsireya, don't know where they are exactly though" he said. "Oh ok, thanks Netey" I smiled and he weakly smiled back, "No problem"

Before I was going to leave, I wanted to check on him, "You ok?" I asked and he stopped smiling, "Don't know honestly. I'm worried about my siblings, 'specially Lo'ak. He is my one and only brother, but he keeps on getting into dangerous situations.." Neteyam sighed, "What are they going to do without me?"

I pat his shoulder, "As an older sibling too, I know what you mean Netey. At some point though, they learn to fend for themselves. Having siblings is important, and it's to be there for each other. Not too much, though. I just think Lo'ak is trying to show that he isn't such a baby anymore. To you and to your dad" I said and he nodded, "I guess, yeah. Thank you for the advice Ryonan" He smiled and I gave him a thumbs up, "Of course" Then I walked away.

- few minutes later

The sky was a shade of purple with hints of pink, it looked so beautiful. "I should find Lo'ak soon.." I muttered to myself and Tuk, who was passing by me, heard what I said. "Lo'ak? He's with Tsireya near the pools!" Tukitery told me. I giggled and pet her head, "Thank you, Tuk" I smiled and she smiled back, "Of course!" I bopped her nose before leaving to go to a path near the pools.

I was a few feet away from Tsireya and Lo'ak, who were talking. I couldn't hear what they were saying, and all I saw was Lo'ak show her his hand, and she held it. They looked deep into each other's eyes, and I saw him smile. I saw the look on my sister's face, what her eyes could tell me. I stood for another second before walking away.. far away.