Chapter 22

The walk back to the main buildings was worse than Torture. My heart was beating so fast in my chest I thought at any minute it could leap out of my mouth. With the combination of Heath's arrival and the imminent delivery of the message from the elders, I could barely believe it was only just lunchtime, and the day wasn't nearly over yet.

Walking into the dining hall with Heath and Sylvia trailing behind, Mum had taken Robert to fetch some of Fernando's clothes; apparently, he had left some in her room. I was too distracted to even think about what that implied; I was surprised to find the Area empty I had expected to find Brax here. Then I remembered and the day just got worse Brax had gone to fetch Marie from the airport and they were due to arrive back here soon.

Sinking into one of the chairs, I tried to think this new problem through; Heath had taken the seat right next to me and was currently drawing small circles on my arm, which was making it hard to focus; my stomach kept jumping, and all I wanted to do was turn and wrap my arms around why couldn't we of had some time together before we had to deal with all this.

"It's ok, Jacey. No matter what the elders say, they can't stop us from being together."

I smiled at Heath, thinking of all the nights I had lain in bed and wished a man would say those words to me..

" I know, but it's not just that a friend of mine Marie, I don't know if you ever saw her when umm, I gestured with my hands at me, my brain not allowing me to find the words,

" When I was a lion, Heath heath finished", grinning at me ", I still am, you know underneath."

His saying that caused me to once again glance down at his body and get lost for a few minutes; when I finally broke free of the spell he seemed to have over me, I glanced up, and he was smirking.

" So why so worried about this Marie woman? he asked"

I thought for a second before explaining

" Maree is my oldest and best friend, But she's a very highly strung woman, and since she won't be living here and I'm not one hundred percent comfortable with it all yet, I don't want her knowing about the were's and us and all of it, She'd probably call a media unit and expose us all she's that kind of person, but with Robert arriving and whatever the elders want I just don't know how to hide it from her shes on her way now."

I sighed after my lengthy speech and sat back in my chair, assessing Heath's reaction to my comments; way to go, Jacey, make the guy think your ashamed of him were the thoughts that entered my head when he didn't immediately answer.

Heath stood 

" So we'll go then, and Roberts message can wait till tomorrow. I don't want to ruin anything you have going on here" he didn't seem angry or sad when he said it was just factual.

I jumped to my feet, placing my hands on Heaths ample chest

" God, no, that is not what I meant. I just have to figure out how to do it all so she doesn't catch on. I couldn't stand if you left again."

" I've got it. I said, turning to Sylvia, who had been sitting nearby listening closely.

" Sylvia does Ethan have anything on today."

"No, he didn't mention anything this morning; why " Sylvia answered, looking puzzled.

" Call him for me. I was going to invite him here to hear the message. Still, with Marie, due any minute, we can't risk her overhearing, so we'll go to Ethan's ill call Brax now and tell him what's happening he can tell Marie I got called into town for an urgent meeting about something or other He'll make it believable."

" Remember to breathe, babe," Heath said, placing his arm around me and drawing me close

"I want to kiss you he whispered into my ear

without waiting for a reply, he lowered his lips and lightly brushed them over mine. My breath caught in my throat at the delicacy of his touch. I forgot all about Marie and Robert; in fact, I almost forgot to breathe at all as I leaned into him and returned the kiss I had dreamed of being in this man's arms so many times, and now it was a reality. He broke the kiss, and I moved my head to lay on his shoulder; it was the perfect fit as if our bodies were made to be together. I sighed and closed my eyes, enjoying the calm feeling of home that enveloped me.

Our perfect moment was shattered by the sound of footsteps entering the hall. We didn't break apart; we just merely lifted our heads to see the new arrivals. Mum and Robert both gave us knowing smiles.

It was strange seeing Robert and knowing just minutes before he had been a lion. He made an imposing man; he was very similar to his brother, the only difference being his hair was not yet the complete silver grey that Ethans was instead, it was black with tufts of grey here, and there he had the same piercing amber eyes that Ethan possessed except his were darker and seemed to bore further into you.

" "Right," said Sylvia re-entering the room. She stopped upon seeing Robert standing there and seemed to be forcing herself not to run to him instinctively. I sent out soothing thoughts to calm her. You could see she was beginning to shake; I didn't know what Robert had done to her. Still, I could feel the pain of seeing him coming off her in waves. It was like her emotions were crashing into me.

Breaking away from Heath, I walked over and pulled her close, whispering soothing words into her ear; the gift didn't work as well if the lions weren't in animal form but touching her seemed to do the trick; she composed herself, and I felt her emotion level drop.  

"It's fine to go to Ethans", she finally spoke.

" Why are we going to my brothers Robert demanded, staring straight at me 

I took a deep breath before answering; some of Sylvia's emotions had leaked into me, and I was having a little trouble regaining focus.

" Because, Robert", I let the annoyance at his tone show in my voice, and I couldn't help but send submissive thoughts his way as I continued.

" I have a friend due to show up here soon a human who knows nothing of weres or my connection and I, as I assume you and the elders do to don't want to become the headline on the nightly news, which is what will happen if we have our little conversation here" I let the silence fill the room for a few seconds before I turned the rest of the room and said

"So shall we go before she arrives" I grabbed Heath's hand, and without giving anyone a chance to answer, I made my way out to the car and climbed in a few moments later; Mum Sylvia and Robert joined us?

" Bloody hate cars", Robert muttered as we drove out the gate.