𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 27: 𝑴𝒊𝒏𝒅 𝑮𝒂𝒎𝒆𝒔

Silently, Sakura followed Tsunade, Inoichi, and her childhood friend Ino up the winding stairs leading to the Hokage's office. Sakura cast a quick longing glance over her shoulder in the direction of the hospital where the love of her life was now occupying one of the many beds. They were keeping him constantly sedated in order to prevent another episode that could have had far worse consequences. Luck had been on their side that Nagato and Itachi arrived when they did otherwise the loss of life would have definitely been higher than zero.

"Sakura come on, the sooner we tell you and Tsunade-sama what's going on the sooner you can go treat him." Sakura snapped back to reality at the sound of Ino's voice and turned towards her friend and nodded. Before she could take two steps Ino caught her arm.

"Naruto is going to be fine. You've gotta get that mind of yours right. After what he's seen, he will need you as his rock. You always talk about everything he has done for you and how you don't deserve him right? Now is the time to prove yourself wrong."

The gloom lingering in her downcast gaze spoke silent volumes, she truly believed he deserved far better than her. What she didn't realize was she was exactly what Naruto needed in his life. A firm hand to keep his pranking from getting out of control while also being a pillar of strength for him to lean on when things seemed impossible. She had become a constant in his turbulent life and in the end that was far more precious to him than anything. His own bright cherry blossom to illuminate his world when everything else became clouded.

"Sakura believe me when I say you are the best thing to ever happen to that boy. He once said that even if you had chosen Sasuke over him he would still love you. You will always hold a piece of his heart. A piece which is needed to love someone. And that part is always going to be yours. Now put on your big girl panties and help your man!" Ino finished her little speech with a sassy grin.

That grin broadened when she saw a new light flicker to life and shine deep in the pinkette's green eyes. A light that Ino hadn't seen since Naruto left on his training trip. It was the light of pure determination. The same flame that was in Sakura's eyes when she decided she loved Naruto, it was back once again to help Sakura show just how much she loved the number one hyperactive knucklehead ninja of the Leaf.

"Your right Ino-pig. I need to be there for him no matter what happens! Thanks again for the talk." The blonde ignored her old nickname and instead took the compliment she was handed. Sakura took in a deep breath to calm her nerves before moving into the building toward the room where she would learn what was happening to the father of her child.

"A...a genjutsu?" Sakura found her hand tightening around the seat of her chair. The furniture was clearly breaking under the stress the worried kunoichi was putting on its poor wooden body. Inoichi nodded his head once to the question.

"How did this happen? Genjutsu shouldn't affect him with his abilities. So how did this happen?" Tsunade's hands were steepled in front of her face. The look in her eyes was that of parental rage. She reminded Inoichi of himself whenever someone thought to hurt his precious daughter.

"This was a highly specialized genjutsu that was designed for the sole purpose of breaking Naruto's spirit. The genjutsu would only trigger when he locked eyes with a pair of Sharingan. That happened when he locked eyes with Sasuke in his nightmare. I'm surprised that the dreams alone didn't push him to this point some time ago. He's a strong shinobi that much is for sure." Inoichi locked eyes with Sakura knowing that she would ask the next question.

"What do we do now? How do we fight this genjutsu if it's this specialized?" Sakura asked hoping they could end her love's nightmare quickly.

"We either let the genjutsu run its course or we find the person who implemented it."

"She's next"

"You can't save her"

"Your family will die"

"You"

"Will"

"Kill"

"Them"

Naruto clutched his hands to his ears and closed his eyes trying to block out the scene before him that was tormenting his senses.

"NOOOOOO"

He slammed his hands down into the blood soaked ground. The dirt had turned to mud long ago due to amount of ruby liquid soaked up by the thirsty earth. His tears fell freely even when the pair of feet entered his blurred line of sight. The sound of armor rustling reached his ears. Even in his tormented state he still couldn't help but follow his shinobi training. He didn't flinch when the gloved hand grabbed his chin and yanked his eyes up. For Naruto this moment was one of painful clarity. He finally learned who his tormentor was. However with this knowledge only brought dread.

"Madara Uchiha." Naruto hissed the name in a manner that would've made Orochimaru proud. The flash of red in Naruto's eyes was a rare occurrence but now the tortured boy openly welcomed the rage coursing through his veins. He could hear the bijuu all growling at this lone human. There was obviously a history here that Naruto would have to find out soon.

"Naruto Uzumaki I presume. Or do you prefer Naruto Namikaze?" Madara's expression was that of absolute boredom. Even Shikamaru would be jealous of this guy's cool demeanor. However Naruto was not concerned about how this man measured up to his friends. Right now he was concerned about what this man wanted and why he was in his personal hell.

"Your bijuu. Give them to me now and I will end you swiftly." Naruto gaped at the Uchiha before him not quite sure on whether or not to take him seriously. Madara's gaze bore straight into Naruto's unyielding blues, both sat there locked in a silent battle of wills.

"You're either very stupid or very strong Naruto Uzumaki. To deny me is to court death, yet I find your audacity intriguing. I want to fight you at your full strength. I'll end the genjutsu only if you train. You will have little time after this meeting. Prepare for death if you're not prepared to fight." Madara made a simple handsign and the dreamscape faded to nothingness. For the first time in a long time Naruto fell into peacefully beautiful sleep.