𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 16: 𝑻𝒐𝒓𝒏 𝑭𝒓𝒐𝒎 𝑯𝒐𝒎𝒆

Sasuke awoke to darkness for the third straight day now. He had finally achieved his ambition of killing his brother and was even able to kill Sasori of the Red Sand. His brother's eyes were now his and Konoha fell under the might of Orochimaru and Madara's combined forces. He should be felling incredible except for one tiny thing: Itachi had shown him the truth right before he died. Sasuke touched his forehead where only a few days ago Itachi had placed his blood stained fingers.

"Sasuke...I still believe that you...will choose the right path...Always remember...they still care. No matter what...they still care."

Itachi's final words echoed in his mind as he thought about what Itachi had said. Those words had struck Sasuke deeply as he remembered his time with Team 7. Although he continually told himself that he was an Avenger, the mantra now seemed dull and lifeless. It only made his heart sting as he thought about everything he had thrown away in this petty ambition of his. All of the friends he hurt and the bridges he had burned. Hell, he had even tried to kill his best friend. Now look at what he had left. Now he had nothing but darkness to comfort him.

"Sasuke..." Sasuke could recognize the voice of his former sensei anywhere. Kakashi was locked in a cell adjacent to the Medical ward of the prison. They were forced to use the prison when Konoha destroyed the hospital and any medical equipment they couldn't take as they retreated. Thanks to that action countless Sound shinobi had perished to their injuries. Kakashi had been captured when he remained behind to buy the last few shinobi the time they needed to plant the paper bombs in the hospital and escape. He was captured when he finally collapsed of chakra depletion. He had been imprisoned for three days now and his Sharingan was sealed for the moment. This was the first time he tried to contact Sasuke.

"What Kakashi." Sasuke sounded cold but he couldn't help it. After being with Orochimaru and Madara for so long he had become cold and distant, desensitized to things that would make even the most battle hardend shinobi vomit. Now he was trying to be friendly with the hopes of repairing a broken bond yet his voice portrayed the complete opposite.

"Sasuke...I forgive you for what you did. I...I also wanted to tell you that Naruto and Sakura still care. They're still going to save you no matter what." The words struck a chord deep in Sasuke's heart and for once in a long time he felt that strange warmth inside him. The warmth that only comes with a feeling that had been Sasuke's enemy for so long he forgot its tenderness. The feeling of happiness.

"I hope so Kakashi. I truly do." He whispered but it was just loud enough for the silver haired Jounin to hear. Kakashi smiled a sad smile.

'I just jope it's not too late for me to see their reunion.'

Naruto softly stroked Sakura's hair as she slept. He was still processing yesterday's news and almost believed he was still dreaming. For only in his wildest dreams could he have ever thought that he would be having a child with Sakura one day. Yet here he was with her head resting on his chest and their child growing inside of her. He tucked her pink hair behind her ears and kissed the top of her head ever so gently before he carefully got out of bed, making sure not to wake her. He quietly got dressed and wrote a note to Sakura before he slipped out into the early morning air. His heart was heavy as he thought about what was going to happen but he knew that he had to answer Gaara's summons. The blonde also knew what was going to result from those summons.

He snapped out of his thoughts when he was at Gaara's office and entered the room. He found that he wasn't alone with the Kazekage. Shikamaru leaned lazily against the wall while occasionally glancing at the "troublesome" Temari who was still half asleep. Kankuro was tinkering with his puppet, Naruto guessed he was adding a new weapon or poison, as he sat on the new couch in Gaara's office. Lee was doing handstand push ups using only his thumbs counting off his 317th one. Tenten stood beside Neji, both sweat dropping at Gai who was doing the same exercise as Lee except he was using one hand.

"Ah Naruto. I'm happy to see you finally came." Naruto turned to face the desk where Gaara sat with a small smile. He still didn't know about Sakura's "condition", nobody besides Tsunade, Sakura, and himself did, so he couldn't know what he was tearing Naruto away from.

"Yeah..." Naruto gave a weak smile that only Gaara and Shikamaru noticed. Gaara's smile faded at Naruto's unusual behavior but Naruto just shook his head in an "I'll tell you later" fashion. Gaara nodded and called everyone to attention. Once they finally got Lee and Gai's attention over their shouts of youthfulness Gaara was finally able to proceed.

"I have gathered you all, at Tsunade's request, for a mission. As we all know Konoha fell several days ago to the combined forces of Orochimaru and a man calling himself Madara. Several important shinobi were captured by the Sound. Your mission is to act as an infiltration and sabotage team. Your primary objectives are the recovery of Choji Akimichi, Hinata Hyuuga, Kiba Inuzuka, and Kakashi Hatake. You are also going to capture Sasuke Uchiha at all costs. Your secondary objectives are the demolition of any medical facility, weapons storage and manufacturing facilities, and any supply lines and food storage facilities. This mission is expected to take at least 10 months or longer. This is an SS rank mission. You all know that this is the highest rank available so the risks are obviously great. You are to depart immediately. Your supplies are located at a checkpoint in the Valley of the End. You are dismissed. Naruto you stay here for a few minutes." The other shinobi filed out to wait for him at the entrance to Suna. "What's going on Naruto. Something is troubling you."

Naruto let out a sad sigh. His smile was just as sad as he spoke. "This mission came at the worst possible timing."

"Why is that?" Gaara leaned back to study his friend's face.

"Well," Naruto's smile brightened as he spoke. "I found out that I'm going to be a father!" Gaara didn't expect to hear this and was about to congratulate him when he realized what his friend meant.

"Oh... I'm sorry Naruto..." He realized that his friend was almost certainly going to miss the birth of his first child. He noticed the smile on the blonde's face turn sad again. "Well I guess a congratulations are in order. I will tell Sakura where you are so-"

"No don't. She will just try to follow us. It will hurt missing my child's birth but it would be unbearable if something happened to her and the baby." Gaara nodded his head and Naruto turned to leave. "Thank you for everything Gaara. Tell Sakura-chan that I love her. Please look out for her while I'm gone. If something happens to them...I...I don't know what I would do."

"I will Naruto." Gaara gave him another sad smile. Naruto nodded once and disappeared. He reappeared in front of hos team.

"Lets go." With that the team of Konoha and Suna shinobi set off for their long mission away from family and friends.

Sasuke felt his presence as he approached Konoha despite concealing his chakra. He smiled a small smile just as the last bandage was removed from his eyes.

'Naruto my time has finally come where I can return the favor.'