10

Don't you think it's weird," Francis starts as they wait for their flight, Mary's feet on his lap as Jean sits on the carpeted floor with his nature books. "That I'm showing you off to my family when your mother doesn't know that I'm your new boyfriend and your brother doesn't even know you're in a new relationship entirely."

Mary's fingers fiddle with the lace detailing at the bottom of her white tee and she nervously meets his eyes. "I want to keep you to myself, is that so bad?" She asks, laughing self-deprecatingly.

Francis returns her smile. "I guess not. But..."

But, Mary thinks fearfully as she says, "Everyone knew about my ex and me and they never left us alone until I felt claustrophobic and told them to. But I should have listened to them otherwise I'd not..." She quickly glances at Jean and then back at Francis and he gets it. "But I know you're way better and you'll take good care of me. I just want to be selfish and enjoy the time we have, getting to know each other again and be a couple before my family and friends fawn over you."

"I guess I am charming," Francis replies lightly. "Okay, sure. We'll do this your way."

"Thank you," Mary says, reaching over to take his hand in hers. "Also, would you like to spend Christmas in Scotland with my family?"

Francis smiles even more now, nodding. "I'd love to. I'll probably send Jean to France-"

"No, he can come too," Mary says with a grin.

"Yeah, of-of course. Are you sure? I wouldn't want to impose," Francis says quickly, receiving a squeeze on his hand. "Are you sure?"

Mary nods affirmatively. "Definitely," she tells him happily. She brings her legs down, her feet meeting the floor as she leans in for a quick kiss. "I need the loo."

"The what?"

"I know you know what I'm talking about," she says, laughing as she gets up and starts heading to the nearest toilets. "You're British now!"

She hears Francis chuckle behind her as he tells Jean to show him what he's reading about.

...

As they head to Kenna and Bash's place, Francis quickly types out a text and puts his phone away, turning to Mary.

"Just so you know, my family don't know we're here so we can enjoy these two weeks in peace," he tells her, his eyes landing on Jean who has fallen asleep, the boy's head on Mary's shoulder.

"That's fine," Mary replies, her hand gently grazing over Jean's cheek. "I guess it would be awkward for Bash if they turned up."

Francis nods. "Yeah," he says. "Are you okay with Jean on you? I could-"

"He's knackered," Mary mumbles. "He's fine where he is."

She ends up falling asleep, the flight to France taking a lot more out of her than she expected. She feels a hand gently brush her hair down as she sleeps lightly and a smile settles on her face, her arm going to tighten around Jean more as the taxi journey continues in silence.

Mary wakes up when the taxi comes to a stop and she looks around, her eyes adjusting to the lights outside. They had taken a late flight after meeting with Jean's new school earlier in the day.

"I'll get our things," Francis whispers to her as she yawns and gently wakes Jean up. "Come on, bubba. We're here."

Mary undoes their seatbelts and gets out of the taxi, steadying Jean when he gets out after her. She bends her knees and gestures for him to get on her back which he does before falling back asleep, his soft snores in her ears.