-Chapter 8: Space Between-

We walk down an alley, swinging our joined hands as we laughed about memories. "That one was epic. That went on for actual days." Evie says, laughing. "Like it mattered, right?" I say. "They were both undone by True Love's Kiss." Evie says. "Together. Works every time." She adds. I laugh, looking at the cloudy sky, admiring the contrast between within the barrier and outside the barrier. The sunny sky outside and the dark grey ones inside. "I really thought that was what Mal and Ben had." Evie says, frowning now. I nod. "I thought so too." I add. To see Mal give up on what made her happy like that is painful. And all because she thought she didn't fit in.

We stop at the base of our base, where we are supposed to open the gate. Instead of doing so, Evie turns to me. "I thought we had that too. Enough for us to stay, anyway." She mumbles. I look at her, surprised. "E..." I start. "Do you want to talk about it?" She asks me, taking both hands. I gaze into her red-brown eyes, my heart tugging at the pained expression on her face. "I'm sorry. I didn't...I wasn't thinking." I say. "But you had those thoughts. And you kept them away from me." She replies, her voice cracking at the last words.

"I really tried to tell you, Evie." I say, looking to the floor. "But...I saw the way your face lit up when we walked through those dorm rooms for the first time. How it currently lights up whenever we're working on a project, or on your business. I couldn't...I can't spoil that for you." I say, rubbing my thumb over her knuckles. Evie looks in my eyes, determination in her face. "I was happy that I got to have such a new opportunity...and that I could share it with you." She says. "So if you're staying, I'm staying too." She says, even though I can see a small hint of fear in her eyes. "Evie, No." I say, shaking my head.

"You're an Auradon girl. Mal and I? We are and always will be, the girls from the Isle..." I start. "I will always be the daughter of the evil mistress and god of evil. People will always see me as evil." I add. Evie shakes her head, frowning. "No they don't. They see you as way more than that....I see you as more than that." She says. I smile sadly before picking up a rock and holding it to her. She doesn't take it, but gestures for me to throw it. So I do. Opening up the gate to the base.

Evie heads up first as I ensure it closes behind before I follow. As I reach the second level, I spot Evie leaning against the fence, looking out.

"I didn't know what you were going through. I thought that you were fine...why did you have to hide?" She sings, glancing at me slightly. "I didn't want to let you down...but the truth is out. It's tearing me apart. Not listening to my heart." I sing back, looking at her. "I really had to go." I sing, turning to face the blue haired princess. "But I would never stop you." She sings, holding my hands. "Even though we change..." "Nothing has to change."

"And you can find me in the Space Between. Where two worlds come to meet. I'll never be out of reach." We sing, turning away from each other. "Cause you're a part of me so you can find me in the space between. You'll never be alone. No matter where you go." We sing, turning and looking at each other as I reach one hand out to meet hers in the middle. "We can meet, in the Space Between"

I smile, before turning away, looking out at the Isle. "Nothing can stay the same. It's growing pains." I sing, looking down before feeling warm arms wrap around my waist and Evie's head rest on my shoulder. "Be proud of all your scars. They make you who you are." She sings before turning my head to face hers. "I know you have to stay." She sings sadly. "But I'll never really leave you" I assure her, taking her hand. "Nothing has to change." "Even though we've changed."

"So you can find me in the Space Between. Where two worlds come to meet. I'll never be out of reach. Cause you're a part of me so you can find me in the Space Between. You'll never be alone, no matter where you go. We can meet. In the Space Between." We sing together before Evie pulls my arm, dragging me inside the base as we stop at the top of the stairs.