-Chapter 2: Auradon Life-

We walk along the bridge in the gardens of Auradon Prep as many, and I mean many girls greet us. Or...more like greet Jay. "Hi Jay." One says. "Jay." Another says. "Hey." Jay responds, smirking at them. "Hey, what's up?" He says to another. I lean over to whisper into Evie's ear. "God, he's like the playboy in all those teen dramas." I mutter. Evie stifles a laugh as we follow behind the boys.

"Why do you torture them? Just pick someone to take to Cotillion already." Carlos complains. "I'm going solo. That way, I can dance with all of them." Jay clarifies, smirking. "Ah. You're the expert....Um, Jay? If you were gonna ask someone, what's the best way to go?" Carlos asks. Carlos has very clearly been crushing on a certain fairy. Jane has been his focus for a while, our little brother is growing up! "Listen, all you gotta do...is look like me." Jay jokes as Carlos rolls his eyes. "Oh, ha-ha." Carlos complains. He turns to us. "Mal's going with Ben, obviously. Unless there's trouble in paradise?" He asks which Mal shakes her head to. "Who are you two going with?" He asks Evie and I. I look at her, and she looks back at me, a happy twinkle in her eye while she keeps her expression neutral. "Uh, still deciding." I say, smiling. "Yeah, me too." Evie says. Carlos nods. "Any advice for me?" He asks. Before we can say anything, Jane appears. "Hey." SHe says. "Hey." Carlos replies.

"I was wondering...uh...if you liked the...carrot cake last night?" He asks awkwardly as he chickens out of asking her to Cotillion. "I had the pumpkin pie..." Jane says, also awkward. "Oh, cool. Um, uh..." He tries as Jay chuckles. "Smooth." The thief says as he walks away, dragging Carlos with him. Evie steps forward to where Lonnie and Jane stand. "I have an opening for a fitting at 3. Who wants it?" She asks as Lonnie immediately responds. "Me!" She says before looking at Jane guiltily. "Sorry." She says to the fairy. "Perfect. I'll take you later." Evie says to Jane before pulling Lonnie with her as they talk about her dress.

"Mal? Y/N?" Jane asks. "I hate to keep bugging you, but the decorating committee needs more answers. So as much as I hate to...uh, you know...um..." She speaks before Mal laughs. "Bug us?" She asks. "Right..." Jane says. "Yeah, Jane, we would love to, but we have to get to class." I say, apologetically. "You know, just nod if you like it." Jane says as she lifts a tablet. I look at my sister, sighing. "Okay." I mutter.

"Chair swags. Entry banner. Twinkle lights. Napkin design. Table bunting. And you still haven't picked the party favours yet." Jane goes on as Mal and I nod. Mal keeps a sweet smile on her face, but I feel my smile slipping. "Honestly, Jane, whatever you think-" Mal tries but Jane cuts her off. "I mean, we can do chains, key charms, and pen toppers. I kind of love the pen toppers, but, I mean, we can do all three." Her voice gets into my head and I feel my eyes glow blue at the stress I am feeling. God, as leader of the VKs you'd expect me to be better at dealing with stress. But that was when the stress is not getting murdered, not planning a party to a ton of fancy ass Auradonians and royals. I close my eyes as I calm down, feeling Mal's hand on my back as she speaks to Jane. "I say pen toppers." Mal says with a fake cheerful tone. "Yeah?" Jane asks. "Yeah." I say, now calmer as I open my eyes. "You won't regret it." Jane says as Lonnie and Evie return.

Evie sees Mal calming me down and gives me a questioning look, which I dismiss with a shake of my head. "I can hardly wait to see what your wedding will look like!" Lonnie says to Mal. "And yours when you pick a partner." Lonnie says to me. I look at Evie, who smiles lightly as Mal speaks. "Me too. Wait, what?" She asks. "The Royal Cotillion is like getting engaged to be engaged to be engaged." Jane says. "And you'll probably have one when you have a partner!" Lonnie adds to me. "I knew it!" Evie says, excitedly. "Well, everyone knows it." Lonnie says. Oh, well, that's nice. And clearly, Evie's is looking forward to it. To ours maybe?

"I didn't know it! How come nobody told me that? Is my entire life just planned out in front of me-" Mal gets cut off when Ben appears. "Hi, Mal." He says. Evie, Lonnie and Jane all smile at the king. "Hi, Ben." They say together. I shrug when Ben looks at me, confused. While Mal and Ben talk, I feel Evie's hand grab mine and pull me in the direction of class. "Are you okay?" She asks me, her excited demeanour now gone. "Yeah. Yeah, why wouldn't I be?" I ask. "Mal was comforting you when we came back. Is something wrong? I'm sorry if that wedding thing was sudden. I was mainly talking about Mal and Ben. You and I..." She says, taking both my hands and facing me. "Don't have to do or tell anyone until we're ready." She finishes. I smile, rubbing my thumbs along her knuckles. "Yeah, well, don't worry. You're too beautiful to keep a secret for long." I say, smirking. "Just maybe, baby steps." I add. Evie nods, looking around first before kissing my cheek. "Let's go." She says as we walk together.