5. a happy bliss

A HAPPY BLISS
wednesday, february 10th

"Meat is murder?"

"Yep." Jeremy handed a cardboard box to Beth and she took it.

"That's a really terrible name for an album."

"Hey, it's the Smiths. What do you really expect?" Jeremy said, grabbing two plastic bags full of empty cassette boxes. "Just put it on the back, thanks."

As soon as Jeremy left, Beth put the box down and peeked in. She took one vinyl and flipped it around, reading the song titles.

The album would really be released tomorrow, but sometimes the record shop got the albums early.

Beth would've listened to it -but she had places to go, and her shift was ending in what? Two minutes? She carried the box the backroom. Jeremy could stack them by tomorrow.

The girl was just about to leave, but she heard the customer bell ring on the front desk.

"Jeremy! Mary!"

No answer. Both of her coworkers were out of reach. Beth grunted to herself and walked to the desk.

And she got caught off guard, when Nancy Wheeler was standing on the other side.

Everyone knew Nancy, everyone had heard the rumours about her and Steve and everything.
Even Beth.

"Hi, can I help you?" Beth asked, Nancy looked at her, eyes wide. Maybe she didn't quite recognize her.

"U-uh, yeah. I'm looking for a vinyl."

"Okay. Do you know- do you have something in mind?"

Nancy stuttered. "I- uhm. I can't remember the name, but it was The Clash. Something from them, yeah."

Nancy Wheeler listens to The Clash?

As if the girl was reading Beth's thoughts: "It's a valentine's gift. Of some sort."

"Oh." Beth smiled. "Cute." and Nancy smiled back.

"Well, we have all the Clash over here, so-"

"It was Combat Rock. The one she was looking for. Not the regular one -the special edition. I just can't stop thinking, who was it for?"

"Don't ask me, I have no idea. The only thing I know is that she's not with Steve anymore."

"Yeah, me too."

Beth had left the store as quick as she could -the plans she had we're obviously, with Robin.

The girls were walking to Beth's house. It was getting dark, and even the snow didn't brighten the world.

"Besides, who are we to comment on this? Really? I mean, isn't this very hypocrite of us. To talk.. shit?"

"Were not talking shit, Rob." Beth laughed. She had listened to Amy and Cassie talk a lot of shit. This wasn't that.

"Are you sure?"

"Absolutely."

They interlocked their arms in the way they could, and after a while Beth dared to say her thoughts out loud.

The thoughts that had been bugging her for days, actually.

"Robin?" She started with.