14) Rose

Not edited:

Ok, i think this will work" i said walking into the living room where Damon and Rose were. I was here the next morning to check in on Rose and i came up with the idea that human blood might help.

"I was born in 1450, that makes me 560 years old" Rose said.

"Well, if you were a bottle of wine..." Damon said.

"So, i can die. I've lived long enough" Rose said.

I grabbed a glass cup from the table next to her and poured blood into it.

"If you're gonna be maudlin, I'm just gonna kill you myself" Damon said. "Just to put me out your misery. Come on, its just a little werewolf bite"

"Just a little fatal-to-a-vampire werewolf bite" Rose said.

"Well, according to legend, which has been known to be an unreliable source for Damon" i said and gave her the cup "Drink this, it might heal you..... might"

She took a sip and i watched for any change.

"Yeah. It does feel like it's working" Rose said and i smiled happily.

"It does?" i asked.

"Let's have a look" Damon said and pulled the sleeve of her jacket down to under her shoulder blade because the bite had eaten the skin from her shoulder down. My jaw dropped and i looked at it horrified.

"How is it?" Rose asked.

"Uh, definitely better" Damon said, looking calm, but i saw in his eyes he was..... scared. "Right Elena?"

I turned to the doorway to see her staring at us. I was so focused on Rose that i didnt hear her come in.

Rose turned to Elena for her opinion.

"Um.... it's not bad" Elena said failing to lie.

"Where's Stefan?" i asked.

"He left. I need you and Damon to talk to him" Elena said. "He's convinced he has to find Isobel, but that's gonna upset Elijah"

"No can do, I'm with Stefan on this one" Damon said.

Elena turned to me.

"Sorry, I'm with Stefan too" i said.

"But if you could play nurse for a little while" Damon said to her while walking out the room and i followed.

"It's not necessary" Rose said.

"It is necessary" i said.

"Elena's a do-gooder. It's in her nature, she just can't resist" Damon said then me and Elena followed him to the library.

"Damon" Elena said and he stopped. "Is she gonna die?"

"Probably. The wolf bite caused some kind of infection. It's getting worse" Damon said.

"Like poison?" Elena asked.

"We dont know Elena" i said.

"Yea, I'm not an expert in the field" Elena said.

"I'm sorry" Elena said.

"Death happens" Damon said. "We come, we go, sooner she dies, the better. It's gloomy as hell in here"

Me and Damon arrived at the Grill. To be honest, i was only here to make sure he was ok. I didnt want him alone in a state like this. I could tell he was suffering in silence.

Damon spotted the werewolf that put Rose on her death bed and was about to go to her when Stefan appeared.

"What are you doing?" Damon asked him.

"Waiting for you" Stefan said. "Listen, there's a lot of people here"

"Damn, there goes my plan to rip her spleen through her back" Damon said, he then turned to go to her again but i put my and on his shoulder and turned him around.

"Hey, i know your upset about Rose-" i said softly.

"Why does everyone think I'm upset about Rose, I'm fine" Damon said. "I dont know if you know this, sometimes vampires die. I'm gonna have a friendly chat with lady wolf. Ease up"

Damon then heeded to her and Stefan got a call. What do i do now?

In the end i went with Stefan to find Isobel. We came home about a day later and waited for Elena to get home.

"Emily, Stefan, you're home" Elena said and i waved.

"How's Rose?" i asked. Elena just shook her head. "Uh, i should go check on Damon"

"Ok" Elena said and i quickly left out the door.

When i entered he was sitting on the couch looking at the fire.

"Hey" i said and he turned to me "I came over to see if you were ok"

"I appreciate the gesture" Damon said. "I'm just glad its over"

"Damon, you know i dont believe that" i said.

"Go home, Emily. Get some rest, it's a whole new day tomorrow" Damon said.

"I'm your friend" i said.

"I'm aware of that"

"And a friend knows when their friend is hurting"

"What do you wanna hear? That i cared about Rose?" Damon asked. "That I'm upset? Well, I didn't and I'm not"

"Mhm" i said "Why are you pretending to turn it off? Pretending not to feel. Damon your allowed to hurt"

"I feel, Emily, ok? And it sucks. What sucks even more is that it was supposed to be me. Jules was coming after me"

"I'm sorry" i said. "I'm sorry that you feel so guilty"

"That would be human of me, wouldn't it, Emily? I'm not human" He said and walked towards me "You're one to talk about giving up. All you and your sister have done is give up. Go home. There's been enough doom, gloom and personal growth for one night"

"Ok, fine" i said and stood there silently for a moment before slowly hugging him. I didnt care if he didnt want to feel. But i knew he felt and that he was suffering.

After a few moments i pulled back to see tears in his eyes. I gave him an apologetic look.

"I'll give you time now. But, i am one phone call away" i said giving him another quick hug before leaving.