chapter seventeen.

THE NEXT NIGHT went smoothly for Isla, considering she reluctantly went for some rest like Lydia told her. She eventually fell into a deep enough sleep to send her into the next morning, as Lydia briefly told people not to disturb the girl.

Once Isla woke up she was feeling slightly better, having the energy to do something simple to pass the early morning. Lydia suggested they should go help out with the farmers, or potentially do some apple picking that needed doing. The girls gleamed at the idea and quickly got ready before shooting out the door.

It made them both feel like a little kid again, helping each other jump up to get the highest one, juggling the fresh apples and chucking them in the basket with ease. Some people walked by even managed to smile at the girls, admiring how easily they made a laugh out of simple tasks, admiring their joy and youth.

The talkative girls eventually got enough to fill a whole basket, so they decided to call it a day and swing their baskets as they wandered back. As they spoke to each other quietly, they couldn't help but be nosy and watch the training that had been going on nearby. They stood for a second, listening to the small pep-talk Aaron was giving to people. It made their stomachs churn slightly as they mentioned the Whisperers, but Isla got over it.

Three familiar faces were there two, in front of a bale. One of them turned around, nudging Gage and Margo to look. Gage, the young but annoying one, thought it was funny to get a weapon back and put it over his head tauntingly.

"Hey Lydia. Do you think mommy will take me in?" He asked, and the others behind him laughed, elbowing him on.

Lydia forced a swallow, however Isla clenched her fists. Lydia wasn't the sort of person to want to hold anger in his heart, as on days when things hurt her, she never wanted to get violent. Isla, on the other hand, did. She was exactly exceptionally great at weighing the pros and cons of not being able to control her snarky comments and anger.

"Oh wait, she kicked your asses out." Gage folded his arms, letting the mask flap in the breeze in front of the two girls. Aaron was nearby, looking at what was happening, but he didn't do anything. He was training them to kill and fight, but he couldn't even bring himself to tell off some bullies? "Now you're just a freak."

Isla opened her mouth to shout something back, but Lydia tugged on her arm before walking away, her glossy eyes noticeable.

Margo glared at Isla, "Get out of here freak. Don't make me beat you more than I did last time."

The girl fought back her tongue, biting it furiously so she wouldn't snap at the woman. Isla looked to the side and saw Lydia walking off, so she decided to go after her. She quickly jogged over and brushed Lydia's arm.

"Ignore them. They're immature assholes that probably don't know how to recite the alphabet." Isla scoffed, walking at the same pace as Lydia. Noticing the uncomfortable silence, she then asked, "You okay?"

"Okay? No, I'm not okay!" Lydia snapped, stopping and tightening her grip around the basket. "I'm mad, at them, and knowing that we can't do anything about it!"

"Not do anything about it? That's bullshit." Isla shook her head. "Next time I see them assholes I will do something about it."

A scoff. "Don't bother." She began to walk away, but Isla's grip on her arm pulled her back.

"Have I done something? Or have I not done something-"

"Everytime we bump into those guys and you say something, the whole thing just gets worse!"

Isla stood there stunned for a second, nearly stuttering her next words, "So you want me to grin and bear it? Let them get away with it like you?"

Even though the streets of Alexandria were sometimes quiet, the girl's conversation certainly made it lively.