chapter eight.

THE CAMP WAS DEATHLY QUIET, the only sounds that could be heard was people groaning in pain from being injured by walkers and. A lot got bit and were kept alive. Isla found it weird but didn't get a set in that part. Mostly because they wanted to change. They want to walk with the rest of the herd but in death. Some had no choice. Rags were shoved into their bites to add pressure and stop the frequent bleeding, but as Isla passed them she knew their time was cut short.

She sat with those who got injured, they said their final goodbyes to her and everyone else. As she walked off through the woodland there were many discarded bodies and crowds of people around the ones who got bitten. Isla also still hadn't managed to find her father or Beta yet. She didn't know if they knew Lydia had disappeared with Henry. She was unsure and scared about whether they knew she helped them.

If they did know...then she was in huge trouble. But so are Lydia and the others.

As she got closer to another group she saw then saw her father crouched over a bitten man. He had a rag to his neck showing a bleeding bite. Beta stood up and left the seen, noticing Isla with his stern glare.

Another skin approached as she did.

"Did you find them?" Beta asked.

Them?

They shook their head, whispering back, "No, but we're on their trail." Isla was intrigued. What is her father planning?

"Get a fighting unit ready to set out..." Beta ordered. "Lydia will walk with us again...or they will all walk with the guardians."

Isla's heart began to pound and drop, repeatedly. It made her on edge. As the skin nodded and walked away, Beta's attention directed at Isla. His glare was cold but his composure didn't say anything about what he was feeling.

"Lydia...do you know of her whereabouts?" He asked her lowly. It was more of a demand to tell her as she didn't dare not say anything. But she had to say something.

Isla shook her head slowly, "No. I thought she was with Alpha?"

His eyes narrowed at her and he stepped closer, "Where were you before the attack?"

"Guarding Henry until you took him. You told me to stay, and I did." Isla thought back and explained briefly, she tilted her head. "Remember?"

She knew that was pushing it a little with her lie, but she was glad he wouldn't be able to pin her on anything.

"Right." He seethed, starting to step away until he stopped again. "You will join the next fighting unit to look for Lydia."

"I thought they were already on her trail? Why do we need to waste more guardians when we just lost a bunch?" Isla replied curiously.

"Because you will be the one to bring her back. Whether that's alive...or with the guardians." He informed her before walking away, an evil grin forming on his face which she couldn't see.

Isla felt rage. She couldn't believe he was making her hunt for Lydia. There was no way things were gonna go down well for each side. Isla shook her head and hopefully got rid of some of her nerves in the process. She hoped Lydia and the rest had gotten somewhere safe, covered their tracks too so nobody could find them, including Isla.

She continued to stare in the spot where Beta once stood, with wide open eyes that could not shut. It was like he was trying to crumble her under Alpha's orders. Just there, Isla felt like she was in total paralysis without realizing the sound of her heart beating in her chest.

Lydia was the same despite not knowing what was coming for them. In a way she was expecting for them to come in a matter of hours, she occasionally sneaked a glance outside. She hoped instead of walkers and skins coming for her, it was Isla instead. She wanted to know if her friend was safe.