chapter one.

THE MIST WAS A spook-grey which surrounded them, but you could still see the rotting corpses that they blended in with. It was lifeless just like the dead that they have been roaming with for years. Rags of the fog tackled them as it past through them, but not once did she allow it to stop her from attempting to get their part of the herd back on track.

There were multiple fireworks which went off, causing some of the corpses around them to trail off and away from part of their herd. The girl squinted through the fumy atmosphere, since the only light came from the weak moon, it made her job more difficult.

Also having a stiff zombie mask covering her face made it harder to see, but she daren't argue. She never did. It stuck to her face as if it was permanently glued, the dry blood from the previous zombie lingered around the big eye gaps. Her eyes were covered in thick dirt to allow her to blend in with the horrid smell around them, and so she can blend in with the look of death.

The skins began growling off each other, stumbling towards a graveyard. The mist-like weather came down in thin sheets, letting the girl get closer to her friend who was in her group. Her friend also smelt as putrid as her, like drenched rats which made other people's noses crinkle at. The mutant-type creatures were oblivious that they were walking with humans, but never noticed as they continued to limp around them.

"I have a bad feeling about this." Her friend muttered as she slowly limped behind, her straggly hair was chaotic as it stuck to her face because she was sweating due to her nervousness. "There's other people here."

"Which is why we need to move this herd, now. Or your mother and my father will have our heads." The other girl grunted from infront, slowly looking behind her to face her friend. "You know we have to Lydia."

"I know Isla...I just have a funny feeling." Lydia nodded hesitantly as she glanced at her, also giving her a small side-eye when she heard Isla chuckle lowly.

"Don't let the others hear you call me that." Isla replied bluntly as she looked around cautiously, making sure her footsteps were quiet despite having to limp like one of the skins. "Besides, your feeling is probably from the worms you ate earlier."

Lydia went to huff but quickly covered it up in a fake growl so she didn't attract any unwanted attention.

"Of course, Delta."

It was Isla's turn to hide her laugh. The others back at their current camp would likely to be confused if they found out why Lydia was using Delta's real name, but not confused enough to daringly question it. Of course they talked about the two girls often, about how they were treated so differently however they were more similar than they realised.

Lydia's mother was the leader of the group, hence why they named her Alpha. Isla's father was her 'right-hand man', also why he was called Beta. But instead of Alpha choosing her own daughter to be named, she elected Isla to be Delta due to her terrific skills that she thought her own daughter didn't have.

Which was why nobody deliberately picked on Lydia because of her title, otherwise they would have to face the wrath of their Delta. Because as it happens, they were as close as sisters.

In the distance, where the graveyard was, their walkers seemed to be slowing down. The girls could hear the violence from where they currently were, hearing grunts from people as they cut open the dead and the swift slicing from their weapons.

"We should go..." Lydia whispered worriedly but Isla glared at her momentarily as she observed the scene. "Isla-"

"This is why you are not Gamma!" Isla harshly replied quietly, her voice showing deep frustration as she just wanted to do her job. "You're too soft for this."