Chapter 1

"Deep breaths, Jason. It's just an exam. You can do this!" I whispered to myself in front of my bathroom mirror. Hey! Don't judge me. Doesn't everyone give themselves a private pep-talk occasionally? Besides, this was a big day. I had to write a report on an unseen Shakespeare sonnet and English just really isn't my thing! Give me a science practical and I'll find you the empirical formula of copper sulphate, but give me an essay and I'll just stare blankly at the empty lined paper like an illiterate moron for hours. I actually was an illiterate moron until I was seven. I have just always sucked at English I guess. So you could see why I was nervous. If I failed English, no college would take me next year.

I splashed some water on my face and headed downstairs. I felt way too sick to eat but I didn't need my mom to tell me how 'a nutritious breakfast is the only way to start the day' or 'you wont be focused for your exam if you don't eat some cheerios'. So, to avoid the unnecessary speech, I grabbed a banana, gave my mom a quick kiss on the cheek and headed to school early.

I dropped my books off at my locker and headed towards to main hall where the exam was. I walked into the hall and saw someone sitting alone on the stage. "Hey!" I called trying to gain the person's attention. I moved closer to the stage and saw that it was a girl sitting cross-legged with her head buried in a book. I approached her and cleared my throat. She glanced up at me and raised an eyebrow.

"Hello Jason Sharpe. Can I help you?" I frowned. It was Lily Ross. The know-it-all from my English Literature class. We used to be friends when we were kids but that was before the incident.

"Hi Lily," I replied politely. I was too nervous about the exam to get irritated at her snippy attitude. "Listen, I can see your busy so I guess I'll just leave you alone? That is, unless you'd like some company of course."

She sighed and glared at me. "Hmm... How to put this delicately... If I were to put the entire Senior year in order of whose company I'd most like to share, you would most undoubtably come last. That includes Burping Larry." And with that last word, she returned her attention to her book. I'm not going to lie, that stung a little. I'd like to think I'm more pleasing company than Burping Larry. I think his title tells you all you need to know. But I wasn't going to argue with Lily. For two reasons: First, I didn't really want to spend time with her anyway. Second, you can't argue with her. She is a national debating champion.

"Uhh, good luck for the exam I guess..." I called. She grunted in reply without so much as looking up. Well, I tried.

After our encounter, other people began arriving at school and I saw my best friend Logan. "Hey man! You ready for the big exam?" He asked.

I raised an eyebrow at him which told him all he had to know. He patted me on the back and uttered some reassuring words. I smiled and wished him luck.

I decided to get a drink before the exam started so I headed over to the water fountain. As I was drinking, I suddenly felt something grab my shoulders. I jumped and accidentally sprayed the water all over myself. My shirt was dripping. I turned around to punch whoever had grabbed me when I realised is was just my girlfriend, Amanda. I sighed and looked at her huge, apologetic eyes and automatically forgave her. She obviously didn't mean to spray me.

"Hey Bae-son!"

I laughed. "Ouch! Bae-Son? That's worse than the last one!"

"I'm just trying to come up with the perfect nickname for you!" She retorted.

I raised an eyebrow at her. "You thought Bae-son was a good nickname? Mandy, why does this even matter?"

"It matters to me JayBae! Oooh that's good. Yup that's going to stick."

I rolled my eyes and attempted to squeeze the water out of my dripping shirt. After that, I tuned out. I just wasn't up for Mandy's endless monologues about new shoes. The thing is, I really do like her when we're alone. She's a really warm and genuine person. But at school, she has to put on a show. She acts all shallow and self-important. Sometimes, when I'm stuck with narcissist, attention-seeking Amanda, I forget why I'm dating her but then she'll do something sweet like turn down a party invitation just to curl up with me on the couch and watch a movie and it will just be me and Mandy and nothing else matters. I live for those moments.

But now, she was popular, overbearing Amanda and with the stress of the imminent exam, I couldn't focus on being her arm candy and listening to her whine about how Holly Grant got to be the lead soloist in the choir last semester.

"Um babe, my exam starts in a few minutes and as you're on the foundation course, you aren't taking this paper. I'll see you later ok?"

"Fine," she pouted. "But you have to buy me ice-cream after school for making me walk to class alone. Oh and good luck JayBae!" She gave me a quick kiss and skipped away.

I arrived back at the main hall five minutes before the exam started. I received some very angry glares from several teachers as a took a seat at the back of the hall. I wrote my name and candidate number on the front as Principal Westerfeld announced, "the time is 9:23, you have two hours, you may begin."

*******************************************************************************

Author's note

Hi! So, first proper chapter. Its past midnight and I have to study for English Literature myself on Monday. Jason's fears are making me nervous!

Also, big thank you to @BeautifulDaughter for the awesome cover at the top of the screen! You rock! Everyone should subscribe.

Anyway, speaking of subscribing... Vote/comment/subscribe!!!

Always,

AngelOfPen xx