Have You Heard The News That You're Dead?

I spoke the quickest that I could, well aware that Josh could keep up with my commands. He was a flicker of movement, whizzing across the control board. My eyes could barely register what he was doing but my mind was perfectly able to keep up.

"Okay, into the arches," I shouted. Shaade darted back into his and I clumsily climbed into mine, gripping the hand holds. There was a surge of power and I closed my eyes, accepting the rush of magic.

*

I opened my eyes again and found that I was lying on the floor by the control panel. Scrambling to my feet I heaved a sigh of relief to find that I was back to normal, in my body with my mind.

Welcome back.

"Woohoo!" Shaade cheered, punching the air and turning my hair brown again, just to be nice.

"Phew," Sophie said. "You're all back to normal, right?"

"Yes," I said, dusting myself down.

"Yep," Shaade said, jumping onto Josh's back so that he was being held in a piggyback.

"I'm back," Josh grunted, shoving Shaade to the floor.

"That's good," Sophie said. "Because the way I saw it, Georgina was married to Josh and Shaade and Pepper were then married."

A look of horror crossed my features and I saw Shaade's eyes widen. Josh froze and Georgina's eyebrows shot up. She glared at Sophie and I mimicked the look.

"Thanks," Georgina growled to the cat-human hybrid.

"You're welcome," Sophie replied cheerfully.

"The thing is," Emmi said quietly, breaking into the conversation, "the machine didn't work and so everyone still has their demons. Well, I say everyone..."

When she said the word 'demons' I felt a sharp pain in my head, sending me to my knees. I groaned and held my hands to my temples, almost ripping my hair out in an attempt to banish the agony.

"Let me," I choked eventually. "Let me go into the machine. Both of you, move." I gestured wildly with my hand and Josh and Shaade moved away, looking at me uncertainly.

"Is he okay?" Rebecca asked no-one in particular.

"I don't think so," Amalia said, frowning.

"Pepper? What's happening?" Georgina asked softly, crouching by my side, one hand on my shoulder. I shrugged her off and stood up, holding back a scream as another jet of pain rocketed through me.

"Stay back," I said through gritted teeth, a tear rolling down my face. "Please, everyone. Just go."

As I lurched towards the arches I made sure my eyes stayed front, not glancing at anyone. I couldn't bear to look back and see the hurt and confusion on their faces. It would tear me apart.

Footsteps paced to the other end of the room as I took my place. Closing my eyes I rid myself of any emotion, knowing that the parts of demons I'd absorbed were killing me.

I'd already lost count of how many times my back arched in agony, eyes screwed shut against the tears. All I knew was the pain, the red hot fiery magic that ran through my veins, burning me from the inside out.

There was silence as I finally let out the scream that had been building in my throat, collapsing back on my supports as my heart beat its last.