Epilogue

"Hey, mom? Do you think I'm going to be too cold in this dress?" I'm wearing a skin-tight, low-sleeve, velvet dress.

"I'm not sure. Bring your thick coat if you're worried about it."

"You're right."

"Hey hon, can you help me with these lights for a minute?"

My mom has been sitting on the floor trying to untangle her Christmas lights for the past hour. "Ma, you're making it worse." I untangle the lights in 5 minutes.

"See this is why I need you."

"You don't need anyone, mama." I kiss her on the forehead.

"When is Amber supposed to get here?"
"Her plane landed 20 minutes ago, so she should be home soon."

The doorbell rings. "Or maybe now." My mom laughs.

I look through the peephole and see a man instead of my sister. "Shit, it's Riley. I'll be right there!" I yell as I run into my room to put my heels on. "Bye mama, I'll be back in a couple of hours."

"Just text me if you decide not to come home." She winks at me. I didn't need to put powered blush on my cheeks after that comment.

"Have a good time, my love."

I am stunned when I open the door. The man in front of me is so gorgeous it hurts. Riley is dressed in black pants, a dark green sweater that perfectly sculpts his torso, and a black cotton jacket. He's gotten a haircut since the last time I've seen him so the curls are really curling today. He's holding a bouquet of white roses.

He doesn't say anything. He's just staring at me.

"Hi," I say in a light tone, but it still startles him out of the trance he was in.

"Hi." He clears his throat like he hasn't spoken in days. "Um, these are for you."

"Thank you. I'll put them in a vase." Riley steps into the apartment and shuts the door behind him.

"Good evening, Joanna."

"Oh Riley, you look so handsome!" My mom gives him a really big hug.

The door behind him swings open gathering everyone's attention to it.

"Okay, why is a random guy getting my hug?"

"Because he arrived before you, Amber." My mom lets go of Riley to bring Amber into her arms.

"Hi, chamber." I join her in a hug.

"I thought we retired that nickname."

"Absolutely not. You are literally the girl version of Chandler, it's terrifying."

"Alright, who's going to tell me why there's an insanely attractive man standing in the kitchen, and why Jo is dressed like that."

"What the fuck is that supposed to mean?"

"Jo, language please." My mom says as sternly as she can while keeping warmth in her voice.

"It means you look absolutely beautiful and like you are about to go on a date which is not like you."

"Having a guy in my life isn't exactly like me either, but here we are." We have gotten into the habit of roasting each other anytime Amber and I see each other.

"Amber, this is my boyfriend, Riley."

"Riley, it is so nice to meet you." Riley reaches out his hand to shake her hand. Amber grabs it but then pulls him into a hug. "You have made my little sister very happy these past couple of months. So if you ever hurt her, I will gut you like a fish."

"Amber." I sternly say. "Stop scaring my boyfriend."

"Amber, it was a pleasure to meet you." Riley tries to mask the fear in his voice.

"Where are we going?"

"I am too busy driving to be answering any questions right now."

"You weren't busy 5 minutes ago when we were blasting Christmas music!"

"Jo, please, I'm trying to get us there in one piece." Riley has his serious face on, but I know it's just a front. When I look away from him, I can see him in the corner of my eye turning his head to look at me.

Some spots of Boston are covered in blue and white lights while other parts have gone with a more red and green theme with huge Christmas trees lighting up almost every corner you run into. There are mobs of people with Christmas sweaters and hats. There are countless Santas with their elves and actual Reindeer. I'm brought back to my conversation with Riley at the party before I kissed him. I told him my perfect date included my date bringing me white roses and then taking me to a Christmas festival in Boston.

"You listened."

"What?"

"At the party. Before I kissed you. I would have thought that because of the alcohol you would have forgotten. Even without the Bacardi, I wouldn't have expected you to remember."

"Jo." He places his hand on my chin and turns my head to look at him. "I remember everything."

Riley gets out of the car faster than I can unbuckle my seatbelt and grab my clutch from my feet. He opens the door for me and holds out his hand to help me out. He really is a dream come true.

We walk around the town admiring the beautiful lights that are wrapped around all the trees that align the sidewalk. Our feet crunch against the packed snow under us. I get lost in the magic around us as Riley gets lost in me. Every time I look at him, he's starring at me with a hunger in his eyes.

"Are you hungry?"

"Mhm." I don't think he heard a word I said even though he answered.

"Riley." I whisper in his ear.

"Yes, Jo." He pins me up against the brick wall of a library.

"Are you hungry?"

"I always am."

"For food." I clarify before couching uncomfortably. People are staring at us as they pass.

"Sure." He starts kissing my neck.

"Riley. People are staring."

"As they should be."

"Riley." I moan in annoyance even though I want him to keep going.

"Fine. Let's get some food." He picks me up in bridal style which sets off my laughter off.

We walk to the nearest restaurant. It's almost completely packed, but we are just in luck. The hostess takes us to the last available booth right next to the fireplace. This night could not get anymore perfect.

The waitress takes our drink order of two hot chocolates and the soup of our choice. I take my coat off and shiver immediately. Riley moves from the booth across from me to sit next to me. I have the warmth of the fireplace, the wonderful food, and the most gorgeous man next to me.

"I love you."

"I love you, Jo."