Chapter 7: The First Party

It's finally Friday. The first week of classes is always mundane. Everybody's brains are still on summer vacation, and they need to reel them back into reality.

I am surprisingly pleased that we had a project assigned to us in photography. It has forced me to shift my brain into drive.

I finished the edits for the photos and I sent them to Riley to review which ones he likes better. Our professor gave us a week to complete the project, so he has the weekend to pick which one he wants to turn in.

Scarlett and I have been sitting on my bed for what feels like hours. We have been going back and forth on what we want to do tonight. Scarlett usually tries to convince me to go to a party and I always decline the offers.

"Any more ideas in that brain of yours?" I say to Scarlett.

"Well. I have one more suggestion." Scarlett says to me.

"And what is that suggestion?"

"Jake is having a party tonight."

"Scar, you know I don't do parties."

"C'mon! Have you ever been to one?"

"No, but I know I won't like it. Big groups of people are not my thing, especially when everyone is getting drunk or drugged."

"Okay, not all parties are just big groups of people drinking or doing drugs."

"Well is this one?"

"I don't know. I guess we're just going to have to find out." She says with a smirk.

"Scarlett."

"Please!" She climbs on the bed and kneels down like she's begging for her life."If you don't like this one, I will never ask you again. Please please please!"

"Ella did want to go to one. But she isn't feeling good today, and I should be here for her."

"Hear me out. Let's go to Jake's party, and you can tell Ella that if she needs you, she can call you, and then we can just leave. Let me find out how many people are going, and if I don't think you can handle it, then we won't go. Okay?"

"Okay."

"Yes! Oh my God, thank you!"

"Why do you want me to go to a stupid party so bad?"

"Because this is my crowd, and I want to share it with you. Is that so bad?"

"Possibly." We both laugh.

It's about 8 p.m. and the party starts at 9. Scarlett found out that there are only going to be fifteen people at Jake's party. Tonight is only for close friends. How the hell does he have fifteen close friends?

I'm not close with Jake at all, but Scarlett has known him for 6 years, so she asked him for a plus one.

"What should I wear?" I say to Scarlett, who is sitting on my bed while I look through my closet. I always try too hard to impress people. I've never met Scarlett's party friends, and I don't want to come off as dull.

"Well, tonight is a very casual party, so casual."

"What are you wearing?"

"This." She points at the outfit she is wearing which is a grey t-shirt tucked into her blue mom jeans and ankle boots.

"Okay, great. So how about this?" I pull out my insanely ripped skinny jeans that look like they were mauled by a bear along with a black tank top and a jean jacket.

"That's perfect. You really think too much about these things." She shakes her head.

"Yeah, I know."

I'm starting to get ready, even though it's still pretty early. Scarlett doesn't want to leave until 9 p.m. since she says it's weird to show up early or even on time to parties.