Chapter 15: The Art Exhibit

Riley got a job at the bookstore right off-campus. He thought about working as a T.A, but he hated the idea of being on campus longer than he has to. He's already on campus for classes and sleeping. Any chance he can get to escape, he will take it. And any chance I get to see him, I will take it.

I have a lot of studying to do, and I need a change of scenery from my bedroom.

"Josephine." My name has never been said so beautifully. What is this man doing to me?

He opens his arms and wraps them around my back.

My body becomes engulfed in his. The anxiety within me is now being suffocated by the squeeze of his arms. It can't tell me that this isn't one of the best things to ever exist. Riley's hug.

Physical touch by the ones I love is the salient way to suck the anxiety out of my body. Riley has been added to the list of people's hugs I love to receive.

I don't want this sensation to end. I want to seep into his body forever.

He lets go of me. I want his body back dammit.

"What has brought you to the most magical place on earth?"

"I know you're joking, but this is the most magical place on earth. There are so many books where you can get lost in. So many different worlds. It's truly magical."

"I wish you could take me into a magical place right about now. It's been so slow today, and I've already finished the book I started yesterday."

"When do you get off?"

"In two hours."

"Great. In two hours, I'll take you to a magical world."

"Where are we going?"

"It's a surprise. But until then, I will be over in that corner, studying. Come get me when you get off work."

"I'll be watching the clock."

My brain betrayed me 5 minutes ago. Instead of studying, I have been daydreaming about what Riley and I's adventure is going to be like. I was enjoying my made-up scenario when Riley's shadow blocks the fluorescent light above me, interrupting the movie playing in my head. I take my earbuds out as he places a cup of coffee in front of me. I have added Riley to the short list of people who can interrupt my state of daydreaming without receiving a pissed look.

"I think you know me too well now." I banter.

"That's ironic. I feel like I know nothing about you still."

"You're going to know a lot more about me after today."

I pull into the parking lot across the street from his favorite art exhibit. I already feel the tension pulling my heart apart. I haven't been here since the last time he brought us here. It was the month before Amber's graduation.

Dad wanted to take us all on a trip to the exhibit before Amber got too busy with preparing for exams, applying to colleges, and work.

I remember the day like it's a core piece of my personality. There were some new pieces on display. Dad saw one that caught his eye right away. It was a painting of the face of a child. Half of the child's face was full of innocence and excitement while the other face was melting away.

My dad always liked dark pieces. It was the complete opposite of him. My dad was so bright and full of love. His photographs reflected his personality, but he gravitated toward dark aesthetics. I gravitated towards creating dark pieces myself. My dad expressed so much joy when I started creating dark pieces. I've become the opposite of my father. I create dark pieces, but I admire the brightest art pieces.