18

Is this really a good idea? It’s more like a waste of precious gasoline.” Jeno whispered, glaring at Jisung.

It’s the only way for us to get out of this alive, hyung.” Jisung replied, but the way he chewed at his lips showed he at least felt some remorse.

The only reason why we haven’t been caught right now is because the gasoline is masking our scent.” Donghyuck breathed, peaking out of the door to see walkers roaming around the house.

Jeno sighed, giving in. “So all we have to do is get upstairs and leave through the window and we can burn all these damned things, right?

So long as the walkers don’t get us first.” Donghyuck replied, nodding.

They were supposed to be staying in this house until they could leave in the morning, but someone somewhere shot a gun over and over again until they were probably killed. Walkers swarmed at the sound, entering houses against their usual nature. Most in this area were trapped in their house, thanks to Jisung forgetting to lock all of the locks on the door. The strength of their numbers busted it open, leaving them no choice but to lock themselves in with them to get rid of them all at one time.

Okay, on the count of three we’ll make a run for it, okay?” Donghyuck whispered, peering out from the crack of the closet window. Since no one protested he continued. “Ready? One… Two… Three!

Donghyuck pushed open the door, taking off down the hallway with Jeno and Jisung by his side. Gasoline splashed at their feet as Donghyuck dumped it on the floor.  They bolted up the stairs, knowing that they had a limited amount of time before the walkers caught up with them. The sound alerted them of their presence, Donghyuck's sure. But then they reach the hallway leading to the room they need to get to and Donghyuck thinks they just might make it.

Shit!” Jeno yelled suddenly, the thud of him hitting the floor stopping Donghyuck in his tracks.

Donghyuck whipped around to see an adult male walker had tripped Jeno up, pulling him back with alarming strength and speed.

He shoved the gasoline into Jisung's hands. “Get to the room!” he screamed, running back for Jeno.

Jeno was kicking at the walker that had tripped him, teeth gritted in pain. Donghyuck grabbed a lamp and yanked it out of the socket, swinging it to hit the walker on the head. Eerily the man looked up at him, unfazed despite how much pain a normal person would be in. Donghyuck hit it again and again until it finally let Jeno go, and then more until it stopped moving.

Come on, Jeno!” Donghyuck yelled, seeing walkers appear at the end of the hallway.

Jeno looked dazed but he nodded, letting Donghyuck grab his arm and nearly drag him off the floor and to the room where Jisung was waiting. When they were both inside Donghyuck slammed the door shut, locking it.

Let’s hurry and get out of here. Jisung, did you spread the gasoline?” Jisung nodded, and Donghyuck sighed in relief, heading towards the window at the far side of the room. “Good, now we can go out of this window and—

I can’t go with you.” Jeno said suddenly, stopping them in their tracks.

What are you talking about?” Jisung asked incredulously, “Why would we just leave you?

I’ve been bitten.

A chill ran down Donghyuck's spine. “What?

I’m a freshly bitten.” Jeno repeated, unable to meet their shocked gazes. “I can’t come with you.