Chapter 13

*Jingling bells.*

Merry Christmas fam! 

***

He smiled wide at Adya, correcting his hat. "Honored lady, I am..."

A young girl ran in, chewing something and holding a rectangular paper plate holding a piece of chocolate pastry over which were multicolored macarons. She was in a rush. "Let's go to the lake bridge, brother."

He explained. "I am the one Srishti met at the Train and I hope I gave her a good company."

"You did," she laughed and Adya nodded like she wouldn't get along with him. "Myself, Adya. And you are?"

The little girl filled the blank, "Dhruv."

"And this is my little bomb, Diya, my sister." Dhruv smiled. "Should I drop you off somewhere?"

"But I think you are going a different way." Adya put in her head.

"Don't bother." Srishti looked sideway. "We are going to your village to find an unknown person and..."

"A handsome gentle man." Adya filled in. 

Dhruv concluded, "Then come with us... Be our guests."

Diya ran over to pull Srishti towards a carriage. "My brother can ride that... Come, have an evening ride."

Adya lowered her head as Srishti walked with them. Dhruv helped Diya up and got in to take over the rein. Srishti and Adya sat at the back, staring at the unmetalled road with lonely trees bordering it. Diya was busy having her slice of cake. Adya whispered, "Can we believe this little boy?"

"He will do no harm," Srishti assured. 

"I doubt that," Diya giggled.

As they ran down a culvert, they were welcomed  by a sea of bushes on both the sides with a variety of coloured flowers as far as she could the see. The village was scented of herbal plants and seemed to be happy on their coming.

A few meters from the market place and straight through the river bank they rode down to what seemed to be a lonely place. Far from the rest of the housing area, silent and hidden between many tall trees was Dhruv's little home, a beautifully constructed one storey contemporary house. Dhruv got down with others and invited them home as he knocked on the door and Diya screamed, "We are home, Nami."

The door opened and the children ran in, "Come!"

Diya pulled Srishti in who stood shocked at the doorway. 

"And here you are, finally." The woman patted her and stepped aside, "Come."

Did she know me?  The aged woman in an embroidered gown with golden hair clipped with hair barrettes smiled at Srishti who was staring at her as she walked in.

Adya was eyeing the woman from head to toe, her face pale. "Is this woman familiar to us, in anyway?"

Srishti shook her head. Diya made them sit on the little couch when Dhruv ran to grab the teapot. The woman sat down right in front of them with a positive smile. She put forward her hand. "Namrata."

Srishti and Adya shook hands with her.

"Of course we have heard that name," Adya stressed.

Namrata leaned forward, "You did see me... I have come to your house." 

The expressionless face of the girls made her explain more. "I am your father's... Ayush's friend."

"Were you expecting us?" Srishti seemed more eager to get her doubts cleared.